Happy Birthday

Chapter 1: Happy Birthday!

When I was seven, my mom bought me a karaoke machine for my birthday. In that very moment, I decided I wanted to be a singer. Then, when I was ten my mom bought me a camera; I decided I wanted to be a photographer. Most of the pictures are of my mom, Denise King, mainly close-ups. In the pictures, anyone can tell her hair is almost jet black. Also, the pictures give a good look at the flecks of gold in her brown eyes. She's so beautiful and I look just like her. Only difference is that she has a dark, chocolate skin-tone, while mine is a light, caramel tone. Also, I have golden brown eyes with flecks of dark brown in them, the exact opposite of my mom. Although, my eyes change colors depending on the weather and sometimes, even my mood.

Today's my fifteenth birthday, May 3rd, 2014. My mom bought me a book filled with poetry, so I could try something new. As many books as I have, I've never had one filled with poetry. I've never actually enjoyed reading poetry until I started reading this book. All the poems are by Maya Angelou. After I read Phenomenal Woman, I was sold.

I ran downstairs with my finger bookmarking the page. The book felt rough while I was running, but as soon as I seen my mom sitting there, I jumped into her arms. I couldn't help but to scream with excitement.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I shouted, kissing her on each cheek, roughly.

My mom replied, "You're welcome Cameron! I knew you'd love it, even though you hated the poetry unit in your English class."

I sat down beside her and rested my head in her lap. I opened my book and skimmed the table of contents. So many poems, how will I read them all?

I sat up, whipping my hair, and asked "Momma, can I meet with Nick today? She has a surprise for me. Please, mommy, please."

She stared at me with an intent look in her eyes and said, "Sure, but only 'cause she's your best friend and 'cause it's your birthday," she paused taking a breath, "But don't let me find out that you, Cameron King, been hangin' around her fast ass friends and them no good ass niggas." I thought to myself, why do she always got to go there?

I replied, "Yes ma'am, I love you!" I leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Love you too." she said with a face that read, I hope she doesn't get into any trouble.

Once I got upstairs, my brothers Duane and Drake were waiting for me, arms crossed against their chest. Duane is the oldest of all of us. Then there's Drake and of course, me.

Drake spoke up first, "Happy 15th lil' sis!"

I gave him a hug and said, "Thanks!"

Then Duane said, "Happy birthday, but ummm I gotta talk to you, so c'mere for a second."

He motioned to my room, while Drake stood and looked confused for a moment or two. Then, he shook off the feeling and went to his pigsty that he calls a room.

Duane sat down on my bed and said, "I know you're turning fifteen so I wanted to give you three things before you go hang wit' yo girl Nick." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a huge wad of cash, "I know you like to have your own money so here." He handed me the money and it definitely wasn't light, that's when he said, "That's two hundred dollars, don't spend it all in one place." I was thinking, trust me, I won't.

Next, he pulled out a velour box with a purple bow tied around it. He handed it to me and I stared at it with amazement.

"Gone ahead and open it," he said, "I want to have time for the third item and time for you to get dressed." I opened the box and it contained a necklace that had the letter "C" engraved into a golden heart with encrusted diamonds and a silver sash around the heart. He motioned for me to turn around without a word and latched the necklace around my neck. Then I turned around and noticed a smile on his face. "Damn, I thought it looked good in the box, it look even better on you."

All of a sudden his face turned serious. He sighed and asked, "Did Moms have THE TALK with you," he looked down at his hands, which were moving frantically, "'Cause if not then I guess..."

That's when I cut him off mid sentence, "Yes, why?"

He started again, still playing with his hands, "'Cause you know we live in the projects and niggas do anything to get under your skirt. And you, you not like these other girls, you not gone end up like them, you're special. So watch who you're hanging 'round wit'." I could tell he was serious. I knew I was different and I didn't think I'd end up like these other girls.