ONE

The vessel rocked along the dark waters of the channel, the frightened whispered prayers from thirty nurses filled the room. Not one dared speak in such a dark event. I myself started to pray as it eased my troubled mind. I would not label myself a believer but that is dismissed considering my current state.

A young nurse beside me is weeping, her hands suffering a frightened tremor. She whispers for forgiveness from the Lord and shuts her eyes. I scan her name tag that reads "Lori" and gently take hold of her delicate hand. I nod and show a small smile as an attempt to calm her nerves. Lori opens her eyes and smiles, appreciating the much needed gesture. She clamps her other hand over mine to return the favor and we continue to remain that way until our troubled minds eased in a deep slumber.

I awake hours later, the sky as dark as the sea. I cautiously let go of Lori's hands and slowly rise from my seat. As I walk to the deck, I attempt to stretch my sore limbs

"Excuse me, sir are we nearing Dunkirk?" I speak in a soft tone, the sailor spins around and nods

"We are nearing the coast, madam"

"How much longer"

"Thirty minutes at most"
I thank the sailor and remained with him. My body is sore and aching for rest. However, I will not rest. I await my destination, determined yet frightened.

"We are here, madam" The sailor speaks gravely, breaking me out of an absent state.

"Yes, sir..." I absently reply as I take in the long stretch of the soldier filled coastline. Soldiers are lined up all over the beach but that's not all, I gasp at the amount of injured and deceased. The sand is filled with the remains of bombs with more to come. The soldiers smile and cheer at our arrival, relief travels through out the beach. However, I can feel the agony of these men. They have suffered a great deal.

In the approaching dawn, the horrors of Dunkirk unravels before my eyes.

|||

This is a very short one, I'm just testing the waters here. Hope you enjoyed!