zero

Drive - Oh Wonder

"Count stacks of the routine lies

Funny how easy you could see my blindside

Still the same songs with the same old beats

Sure I could stay but there's a place I'd rather be."

...

October 31st, 2013

Loud 80s music blared all around Cassie as she stood in the corner of the kitchen, attempting to blend in with the walls. Unfortunately, her Top Gun flight dress costume didn't make that very easy. The strangers that filled her house milled about, occasionally trying to speak to her. She did her best to make courteous small talk, when in reality she just wanted out.

Cassie hated house parties. The noise, the people, and the overpowering smell of alcohol (and occasionally other drugs) made it feel like she was suffocating. She much preferred small gatherings with people who actually cared. But alas, it was Halloween, and Luke had insisted that she be at his yearly bash. Luke, who was now nowhere to be seen. Her eyes darted around the crowd, searching. His matching costume shouldn't have been so hard to find. 

Eventually, she grew frustrated and put down her drink (Jack & Coke, hold the Jack) and began to push her way towards the bathroom. 
In the process of walking across the house, she was elbowed at least three times, her foot was stepped on, and several guys attempted to grab her butt. It wasn't until she reached for the door handle that she realized that she was shaking.

When she opened the door, she instantly regret neglecting to knock. A guy stood with his back pressed against the wall with his pants pulled down around his ankles, a girl kneeling at his feet. "Oh!" Cassie gasped. Their heads snapped up, staring at her. "S-Sorry," She stuttered, backing out and closing the door. 

That was another thing that she hated about parties: intoxicated people having sex anywhere and everywhere. 

"It's occupied," She said to Alex as he walked by. 

"Oh," He sighed, "Hey Cass."

"Have you seen Luke anywhere?" She asked curiously. 

Alex shook his head, "Not since beer pong, no."

Cassie nodded and continued walking, this time in the direction of the stairs.

The top floor of the house was dark and quiet. When she reached the top of the staircase, Cassie breathed a sigh of relief. She made her way to the end of the long hallway and the door of her's and Luke's bedroom. Without hesitation, she threw the door open and flicked the lights on. And she immediately felt sick. 
There, on their bed, lay Whitney, completely undressed. And hovering above her was Luke, also naked. 

"Oh my god," Cassie muttered breathlessly. 

Luke's eyes darted up to meet hers, like a deer caught in headlights. Her eyes began to burn as she stared into his face, hot tears welling in her eyes. "Cassie-" He started to say before she turned, storming out of the room. She couldn't stand to look at him. "Cassie, wait!"

"What?" she huffed, whipping around to face him. "What could you possibly say for yourself right now?"

He was standing in the doorway, now with his flight suit pulled halfway on. Even in the dim light, Cassie could see a trail of red lipstick stain running down his neck and onto his chest, remnants of Whitney's Rosie the Riveter costume. A sudden look of guilt wiped across his face, but she saw right through it. "Cassandra, I'm sorry," He pleaded, his words slurred. "I messed up."