Chapter Twenty-Seven

I climb into my dress and Caleb helps me zip it up. "So how many officials are going to be at this dinner?" I ask.

      "About thirty. My mother will be there, but you don't have to worry about anything." I nod and look in the mirror.

       "I look so fat." Caleb rests his head on my shoulder and wraps his arms around my belly.

       "No you don't, you're pregnant." I groan and close my eyes. "What?"

       "You have to say that, you're my husband." He laughs and turns me around to face him.

        "I say that because it's the truth, not because you're my wife. You look beautiful, and don't doubt it for a second." He kisses my forehead and hug him, at least I try to, but my belly gets in the way.

        "I'm only like five months pregnant, can you imagine how massive I'm going to be when I'm about to give birth." I groan again and sit on the small sofa at the end of our bed. "Caleb, I'm gonna punch you in the face."

        "Why?"

       "Because you did this to me." He purses his lips, trying to keep from laughing. I pick up a pillow and throw it at him. Caleb walks over to me and helps me up from the sofa.

        "Come on baby, we're gonna be late for dinner." I check myself in the mirror one last time and fix a stray hair. We leave the room and make our way to the dining hall. It's mostly filled, so we walk around and Caleb introduces me to everyone.

        "How far along are you?" One of the officials wives asks.

        "What do you mean? I'm not pregnant." A horrified look comes across her face and she starts to apologize. "I'm kidding. I was just trying to lighten the mood, probably not the best way. I'm five months, with twins."

        "You got me good. Any idea what they're gender is?" I shake my head. "Surprise?"

        "It is. But I think one is a boy and one is a girl. Caleb thinks they're both boys."

        "Listen to the mother, I always say," her husband comments. We all laugh and we excuse ourselves to say hi to the next official. When we've talked with everyone, we take a seat the dining table. Caleb at one head of the table, his father at the other, Penelope and I off to they're lefts.

         "May the dinner commence," a guard shouts into the dining hall. The doors close and house maids walk out carrying trays of food. Everybody is served a salad as the first course, but Caleb barely touches his because of the peppers.

       I tap him on the leg and we switch salads. I'm not one for peppers myself, but I'll eat them anyway. When we're finished with the first course, they bring the main course. Which is a steak and some mashed potatoes with steamed carrots.

       I finish my plate and the house maids come and clear everybody's setting. Dessert is last and it's lime sherbet with a couple raspberries. After everyone has eaten, the officials, Caleb, and King Hancer begin talking politics and strategies. Penelope and I look at each other, bored out of our minds.

       Caleb places his hand on my thigh, squeezing, before placing his hands back on the table. "I don't see how your son is going to take your place in a short few months when he barely knows anything."

       "I don't either," King Hancer says. "He focuses all his time on the girl and the babies." My mouth drops open and I look at Penelope. She taps her chin and I close my mouth. Turning to Caleb, I see him gritting his teeth, trying not to erupt. "She can handle the children on her own, if she wants to go and get knocked up, the least she can do is leave my son out of it."

        Laughter fills the room and all the wives look down at their plates, no doubt trying to avoid criticism themselves. Caleb stands from his chair and the room goes silent. "Of course I spend as much time as possible with my wife and look after her and the babies. And she didn't get knocked up, we're married and children is the next step. But you wouldn't know any better, because you were never around."

        He leaves the dining hall and everybody but the women laugh. I stand, slowly as not to knock anything over, including myself. All eyes turn to me. "You all should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. Just because you weren't loved as children and you treat your wives like utter shit, doesn't mean every man has to. Now if you'll excuse, my husband needs me and quite frankly, I'm sick of all of you. Goodnight ladies."

      With that, I turn and leave the dining hall. Caleb is out in the garden like I thought he would be, fuming and muttering things to himself. Walking out to him, I place a hand on his shoulder, and he flinches under my touch. His shoulders relax when he realizes it's me.

       "Hey, look at me," I say softly. He doesn't turn, so I say, "Caleb Henry Hancer, turn around and look at me." He turns and looks me in the eye. Smiling softly, I place a hand on his cheek. "Are you okay?"

       "No." I move my hand around the back of his neck and play with hair at his nape. "I'm sorry about what they said in there. You shouldn't have had to hear any of that."

      "I'm okay. My feelings aren't hurt, so your shouldn't be either. You are more man than all of them combined. You were the only one to stand up to them, and I appreciate it greatly." He places his forehead on mine and I smile.

      "How did I end up with someone so perfect?" I shrug and he laughs. "I love you."

      "And I love you. What'd you say we go back to our room and take a bath?"

      "I'd like that very much."