RUTHIE!!!

CHAPTER 1

BETHLEHEM IN JUDAH…

In the days when the judges ruled, there was a famine in the land…

*

The city was silently bloating in the hot sun; the hot offensive wind blowing across from the north-east carrying with it the engulfing smell of decay and death. The ground yielded nothing and the people had started leaving; a family a day. The few who decided to stay were now in factions; groups that plundered and killed just to eat and provide for them. Judah was no longer safe; the revolutionist factions a threat to everyone.

*

Mahlon wiped the sweat from the gaunt pale face of Illana. He was stroking her hair, his family around him all waiting for the time her pain would end. He could see the pain that was reflected in her eyes; ‘what kind of coward would defile a woman and leave her for dead?’ and only God knew the depth of his anger and frustration. What kind of husband was he.One who couldn’t protect his own from those wolves—a failure.As he stroked her hair he remembered the woman he had married; she had been beautiful then, her clear eyes and always smiling mouth a perfect picture of youthful exuberance. He himself felt a flash of pain; his heart empty. Then he lifted his eyes and shouted “But You said You were going to take care of us; provide for us, Jehovah Jireh!! Where are You, Lord, where?” Chil’ion and the others had to intervene, he was wailing now; clinging to the now lifeless form of Illana, his wife.

“Where?”

The children understood the unspoken order; they were to stop Mahlon from doing anything crazy; the factionists were still around, and as much as they all wanted to avenge Illana; they couldn’t.

Slowly, Chi’lion walked over to his brother; still crying out in pain.

“Get up, brother. Let’s go home”

*

“We have to leave, Eli” she was distraught. Though she was grateful to Yahweh for provision in these hard times, they needed security. Not knowing where the next meal was going to come from was distressing; and their savings; fast dwindling.

A bushel of wheat now cost 50 shekels of silver; food for kings. She had stopped going to the market places; there wasn’t much to sell any way. What she wanted to avoid was the hungry look on the faces of the children; their parents seeming to conveniently forget them in these places.

 She dragged herself back to the present and tried to concentrate on Eli. “Are you listening, Naomi?” She looked at her husband; the man she had been married to for the past 49 years. 49 blessed years of marriage until now… they had to leave this place. They just had to leave this place.

The people had taken to saying that the Lord had forsaken Judah and somehow she knew it was true. She looked at him; this loving and caring man. She could understand him wanting to stay and preserve the family as he said, but what else was there to preserve? All his kinsmen had left… they had their families to protect and cater for. Naomi wanted her family to be happy; she wanted Mahlon to forget this terrible experience. ‘Our children have already lost so much, Eli. What else are we waiting for, my death?’ at the startled look on Eli’s face, she added “My heart breaks for my children every single day. With this worrying, it shan’t take long for me to join Illana. I know you are proud, but at what expense, our deaths; the death of your family?”  She was tired of arguing; gently she sidled past him to the doorway.

“Take your time, Elime’lech. Just don’t take too long” then she left.

*

Naomi went outside. The sun was setting and the children in the camp had come out to celebrate; obviously someone had been able to bring in some food. She could see the men and the victor in the circle they had created; the poor fool was a hero. She squinted in the hope of getting a clearer view; she succeeded. The young man was Abin’adab; Uzzah’s son. She chuckled, that family had always had a few marbles rolling around loose in their heads. She waited for one of the girls to pass by and asked. “What is going on there?”  She shook her head at the reply she got. He had stolen from a factionist camp; and judging from the praises he was being showered with, it had been a difficult situation.That child was certainly mad. Stealing from the factionists was not dangerous; it was deadly.

She looked at the children jubilating and smiled; remembering a time when every sunset was cause to celebrate. She put out a hand and studied it; it was now gnarled and no matter how many times Eli extolled her “incomparable” beauty, she knew she was growing old. She wanted a grandchild. She thought of teaching a granddaughter how to embroider; a boy how to bring in the sheaves; that was men’s work but she didn’t care. She just wanted to experience the warmth of Yahweh’s love; His funny way of bringing a blessing into the storms of His own.

*

“We come to you asking you for mercy; mercy in these hard days; mercy in this turmoil. You are the grace that gives us the strength to rise; give us the grace and the fortitude to stand. Save us, Lord. Send us help, Lord. Help” thus the prayer was ended. Malachi was drained. As the leader of the religious sect, the pressure was too much. Everyone who had gathered to pray was drained. Elim’elech was in the crowd. In these days the people were united and yet divided. God was the only reason why they would leave their homes and safe-houses. They were all hoping for a miracle. He thought of Naomi and her requests. He cast an observant eye into the crowd and saw the misery there; imprinted into the faces of almost everyone present. There and then he made his decision.

They were leaving.