2

TWO

"Wake up, doll

"Wake up, doll. I gotta go," Bucky whispered in her ear softly, rubbing her arms gently.

"Can we just enjoy this for a second longer?" Debbie asked, sinking back into his warm side.

"When I get back, we can enjoy this forever," Bucky promised, pressing his lips to the top of her head.

They walked in silence to the enlistment office to get to the buses. Neither knew what to say. They didn't want to have to say goodbye. They stood in front of the buses, surrounded by families and couples doing the same thing, dreading the moment they had to actually let their soldiers go.

"You ready to save the world, soldier?" Debbie sighed, a small half smile slipping into her lips.

"If it means getting to come back to you, doll, then, yeah. I'm ready to save the world," Bucky sighed, pulling her in close to his chest, trying to remember every detail of her. The way she smells, the way her eyes light up when he calls her doll, the way her soft skin feels against his calloused hands, everything.

"Load up!" The Sergeant ordered from the bus.

"Guess this is it," Bucky sighed.

"I love you, James," Debbie said slowly, her face slowly becoming serious.

"I'll be back soon, Deb. Look after Steve for me. I love you," Bucky said, flashing one last bright grin as he boarded the bus, leaving her behind.

"He's really gone, huh?" Debbie sighed, leaning her head on the top of Steve's as they sat on her bed, realizing that Bucky wasn't coming back anytime soon.

"I'm leaving tomorrow," Steve said suddenly.

"What do you mean you're leaving tomorrow?" Debbie snapped, jolting up to look at him.

"They're giving me a chance. I'm going to war," Steve explained.

"Like hell you are!" Debbie snapped.

"Debbie--" Steve started.

"Steven. Your list of health complications is longer than my utilities bill-- tell me this is a joke," Debbie rambled worriedly.

"I'm leaving tomorrow, Debbie," Steve repeated.

"I promised James I would take care of you. I can't do that if you're at war," Debbie hissed.

"It's my duty," Steve shrugged.

"All my boys are headed to war, leaving me alone," Debbie sighed.

"I don't want you to be alone, Debbie," Steve sighed, concerned.

"Pat's husband was drafted-- maybe she and I can move in together until you knuckleheads get back," Debbie suggested, shaking her head.

"You gonna be okay?" Steve asked gently.

"As long as you guys are safe, I'll be just fine," Debbie promised.

"I'll set up the couch for you downstairs. You shouldn't be alone in James's place on your last night," Debbie sighed, flashing a gentle smile.

"Thanks, Debbie," Steve said gratefully. Staring at Bucky's empty room was the last thing Steve wanted to do that night.

Neither of them slept at all that night. Debbie lay awake, anxious and fearful. Steve lay awake, jittering with excitement.

Debbie tiptoed down the staircase, crouching down next to the couch, shaking Steve awake gently.

"Wake up, Stevie," Debbie whispered.

"I've been awake all night," Steve groaned, sitting up on the couch.

"Can I walk you to the enlistment office to catch your bus? Everyone deserves a proper send off," Debbie asked.

"Sure," Steve shrugged. He had just assumed he would do it alone. He used to imagine himself getting on the bus with Bucky at his side, cracking jokes and charming the crowd, but having Debbie around was like having a piece of Bucky with him.

"Feels like I just did this," Debbie joked sadly as they walked up to the enlistment office.

"I'm gonna be okay, Debbie. So is Buck," Steve promised.

"Take care of yourself, Steve," Debbie sighed worriedly.

"Yes, ma'am," Steve promised, giving her a small salute as he raced to board the bus.

"Boys," Debbie scoffed quietly, shaking her head.

Going back to a silent house was something new. Though she lived alone, the house was never silent. Bucky and Steve were always there, claiming that her house was cleaner, but she knew it was because her house had proper air conditioning. They would always be laughing or bantering back and forth, even when she wasn't there. But when she came home, no one was there. And they wouldn't be for a long time.