Chapter 2

I wake up to my alarm beeping loudly. I turn off the alarm and get up from the bed. I do my usual routine and get ready. I walk to the kitchen when I'm ready. My mom and dad are nowhere to be seen. Where are they? I wonder.

I grab a bowl and pour cereal into the bowl. I grab milk and pour milk into the bowl. I eat the cereal in silence. Two minutes later and I just finished eating cereal when I suddenly burst out of laughter. My sides are being tickled.

"Gotcha!" My father shouts while tickling me. I laugh for a few seconds till my father finally stops tickling me. I turn to look at him. "Tickling someone without their permission is mean." I say angry but a smile is on my face since I was laughing.

My dad laughs. "Sorry, kid. I wanted to see your reaction." He says. He walks to the fridge and grabs a water bottle. I take the bowl and put it in the sink. "Aren't you supposed to be ready for work?" I ask my dad when I realize he's still in his pajamas.

"Not today. I don't work today which is a pleasant surprise because I'm tired." My dad tells me. I look at the time and realize I got to go. "Ok, enjoy your day off. I'm off to school, sadly." I said.

My dad chuckles. "Ok. Thank you and have fun." He says. I wave goodbye and put on my backpack. I leave the house and walk to the bus stop. More people than usual is waiting at the bus stop. Would it be faster to just walk to school? The bus comes and I have to decide quickly.

I choose the bus because I don't want to risk being late. As I get on the bus, the bus driver holds up his hand. "Sorry, but the bus is full. Please wait for the next bus." He tells me.

"When will be the next bus?" I ask him. The person behind me stops and sits on the bench. "In half an hour." The bus driver tells me. I get off the bus while I'm mentally panicking. Thirty minutes!!!?? I'll be late.

The bus drives off and I decide to just walk to school today. I sigh while walking, why today? I have to do a presentation and I'm already nervous as it is. It'll take fifteen minutes to get there on foot so I'm going to have to rush over there.

I get to school in twelve minutes, made it in less then fifteen minutes. Yes! The first warning bell rings. I sit on a bench outside catching my breath while students get to their class. "Psst." Someone whispers to me.

I look around and see no one. "Psst!!!" Someone whispers-shouts. A head pops out of a tree. I stand up from the bench in surprise. "What???!!!" I say confused and surprised.

"I'm a ninja and I was tasked with giving you this." He said while handing me an envelope. I take it. "Your not a ninja. Who told you to give this to me?" I ask him.

"Shhh! I am a ninja. I can't give you confidential information. Ninja out." He says and he runs inside the school. A teacher tells him to stop running and he walks to class. I roll my eyes and enter the school. I walk to my class and sit at my desk.

"What is that?" Avery ask, while pointing at the envelope in my hand. "I don't know. A 'ninja' gave it to me." I tell her, giving quotation marks at ninja. The envelope is blank except for my name written neatly on the front. Melissa Silver.

"Oh, a 'ninja'. I think a new club was just made like a week ago that send messages between people. Kind of like a text message but with a letter. The teachers agreed because they thought it might decrease students from texting during class. I don't know if it actually worked though." Avery tells me.

"That's cool. I didn't know a club like that existed." I say. I open the envelope and Avery leans in closer to see. A letter is inside and I take it out. The bell rings, so I read the letter quickly.