The Dinner

Evelyn

I would have shot him then and there, she thought, and she urged tucker to go faster. How dare he call me sweetheart, what nerve, he was so cocky, no one should ever be that cocky, it made her angry just thinking about it. And Matt, how could he not understand? how could he take the side of the cocky Yankee instead of her? She felt betrayed, and it stung, it hurt her more than she thought it would, she tried not the think about it. Right now, she had to get home and warn the rest of the family that a Yankee was coming to dinner, so that they would all be on their guard unless the yank tried to pull something or be clever.

She stopped tucker right in front of the main house and ran through the door.

"What on earth?" Rebecca said, startled by the abrupt entrance.

"Becca? are Ma and Pa here?" Evelyn asked, concern on her face.

"Um, yes their upstairs." she said, a little upset by Evelyn's demeanor.

"Good, what about Josh and William? are they here?"

"Yes, they are, but Evelyn, what's going on?" Rebecca inquired.

"Ma, Pa, Josh, William? I need to talk to you!" Evelyn yelled. a rumble of footsteps came from every direction, finally meeting in the kitchen.

"Evelyn, what is going on? Where are the boys?" Alan asked.

"They're on their way, but I wanted to warn everyone, they are bringing someone to dinner, and I think we just need to be on guard."

"Why should we be on guard for a dinner guest?" Rebecca asked,

"Because, he's a Yankee." Evelyn said.

"What?" Josh exclaimed, "why would they invite a Yankee to our house?"

"I don't know, he says he's a friend, but I don't believe it, I'm saying anything is going to happen, I just think we need to be aware, I left early from town, so I could get here and tell you before he just showed up." Evelyn said. Alan looked at Evelyn, and asked,

"What's his name?"

"Colton James," she snorted, and to her disbelief her fathers eyes lit up.

"Colton James!" He exclaimed, and Evelyn watched the whole attitude of her family change, from worry, to excitement. Who was this guy? she thought,

"Pa, he's a Yankee!"

"Oh yes I know, but he's ok I promise." he said.

"Are you kidding me? we don't trust Yankees." Evelyn said confused. Just then the door opened and Emily walked in.

"What's all the excitement about? I could hear you all from my cabin." she said smiling.

"Colton James is coming to dinner!" Alan told her excitedly.

"Oh, how great!" Emily said.

"I don't understand, how is it that everyone is suddenly ok with Yankees?" Evelyn asked.

"It's not that, it's just that Colton is different." Rebecca told her.

"Ok, then how is it ok, that the whole time we ever heard of this 'Colton James ' he never mentioned that he was a yank?"

"Oh honey, we all knew he was a yankee." Rebecca said.

"What?!" Evelyn yelled, "are you serious? everyone knew, and decided not to tell me?"

"Yes, Evelyn you're just so dramatic about everything." Rebecca said.

"Oh you're one to talk miss priss! where do you think you would be if I wasn't there the day the Yankees came?" Evelyn was still yelling, and walking closer to Rebecca, "You'd be dead, and you know it!"