--

Hogwarts graduation was a simple affair. With the graduating class consisting of roughly 60 students, it was bound to be special, yet the humbleness and lightness of the event made it seem like an occasion comparable to the Great Feast, except with parents and formal speeches. With her robe and hat, Rosie left the empty, packed room. Before stepping down onto the stairs, she looked behind her at her dorm one last time.

She was, surprisingly, one of the last ones to leave. Sirius had gone with Peter and Marlene with Dorcas and Mary. With Lily and James both leading the others as the Head Boy and Girl, she walked by herself to the ceremony. She was halfway there until she heard her name being called.

"'Line! Wait up!"

Rosie turned around and saw Regulus Black jogging towards her. Her eyebrows knotted together as she saw him. The last time she talked to him was 5th year when Sirius was acting incredibly stupid.

"Do you need something?" Rosie asked just as he caught up to her.

"No, I was just going to the ceremony too," he explained briefly, putting his hands into the pockets of his formal pants.

"Oh?" Rosie said lightly while starting to walk to the Great Hall, her speed slowing down significantly as she now had a walking partner.

"Our parents aren't coming, they said they didn't want to see a traitor graduating, but he's still my brother," he answered plainly.

"That's sad. My parents aren't making it, too," she added on. He turned to her with a raised brow. Rosie cleared her throat. "They're um, dead."

"Oh. Sorry, I um, I forgot." Regulus looked down at his feet awkwardly. He cleared his throat in an attempt to diffuse the tension. "So, how does it feel getting an award?" 

Rosie looked at him incredulously. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Didn't you know? Dumbledore's giving you a special award. Something about your hard work and academic achievements," Regulus informed her.

"I didn't know, thanks for telling me." Rosie smiled at him, thankful that she wouldn't be caught off guard in the middle of the ceremony. A part of her swelled with pride -- her parents would've been very happy.

"So, what are your plans after you graduate?" Regulus asked her.

"Oh...y'know...healing, planning on working at St. Mungo's," Rosie lied carefully.

"Really?" he wondered aloud. Rosie nodded. "With how good you are at spells, would've thought you were gonna be an auror or something," he continued.

"Not really my type of situation to be caught in," she laughed lightly. By then, they already reached the doors of the Great Hall.

Regulus opened the door and gestured his hand in a sweeping motion. "After you." Rosie smiled kindly at him and walked in. She walked over to where the rest of the Gryffindors were and followed suit.

The ceremony preparation continued as planned. As the students filed into the Great Hall one by one until the last ones arrived, Rosie watched as more and more friends and family continued to enter the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Although she knew it was impossible, a little part inside of her hoped that her parents would be one of the many to enter the gates.

Eventually, the ceremony began. 

It first started with the singing of the school anthem, a rather off-key and pitchy tune to the song with the hundreds of voices all at once, but a touching moment nonetheless. Then, Dumbledore invited the Head Boy and Girl as well as select Prefects who volunteered to the podium to say a written speech.