Chapter 1: What in Life is Fair?

I don't plan to like moving, I don't plan on making any friends; I'm not gonna fail my classes though that would be a good protest. "I'll fail class until you send me back!" However childish that may be and how completely idiotic this move was, I wasn't ruining my future because of it.

"You're going to love it (Y/N), I'm enrolling you in one of the finest schools there are.  They have a drama club, video deconstructing club where you can watch all kinds of movies and see what you'd do differently.  It's all on the website."

"Great, then why don't you enroll and leave me with mom so I can finish my Senior year?" I hated throwing the divorce in his face, but this really blew.  "Honestly dad, you knew how much this year meant to me-"

"And you know how much you mean to me," he cut me off.  "Your mom and my divorce has nothing to do with this." at that, I rolled my eyes.  They couldn't even decide how to talk to each other without warning alarms for World War III going off.  "It's a great opportunity which just may lead to an even greater future for you."

I understood that, but it was SENIOR year.  The middle of my Senior year in fact, but it seems that's not being taken into consideration.  Nothing that has to deal with my personal feelings ever does, it seems.  But I shushed myself before saying any of that.  Last thing I needed was to get into a huge debate that would last the entire plane ride.  So I put in my headphones and blasted my music to drown out what I knew to be a pointless conversation.

At the Airport, dad tried doing the bribery deal.  He knew my weakness was and will always be a Wild Cherry Slurpee.  A fact I did my best not to let slip for the simple fact that some called it childish, but no one bats an eye when teenagers go to Ice Cream place for an ice cream cone.  Honestly, what's the difference?  I rolled my eyes and took the slurpee, but didn't take out my headphones.  If he wanted to bribe me, it was going to take a whole lot more Wild Cherry to make me happy about this.

After the usual wait time of boarding, the typical 2 hours (and 4 Slurpees later), dad ushered me to our First Class seats; giving me the window seat as if the view would amaze me or something.  Sure, most teenagers would think that's the coolest thing ever.  Flying first class, getting the window seat, having an even more red tongue from your favorite treat, and multiple brain freezes from an icy beverage.  I knew dad was trying, but I still felt like my whole High School life had gone down the drain.  Again, yeah; it was a big break for my dad.  One of the best job offers he's ever gotten.  But the nagging fear was that I would be the new kid.  The new kid from a whole other country.  I've seen new kids, I didn't envy them.  I felt sorry for them.  Having to start over.  Having to pick up the pieces.  Seeing them talk about friends they left behind.  Now that was me.

Don't get me wrong, after graduation; we'd all may have gone our separate ways eventually.  But at least we would have had those memories of walking across the stage together.  Throwing our graduation caps up in the air in excitement because it was finally done.  That we made it through the tough years of childhood only to progress into the oncoming tougher years of adulthood.  Some would get scholarships to colleges far, far away.  Others would go to local colleges and happily work to support themselves.  Then the few who wouldn't have the grades or the funds for college at all, that would just work steady jobs the rest of their lives.  But hey, at least it would be their choices.  I sighed as I leaned my chair back thinking that my choices had been temporarily taken from me.  I closed my eyes as the loud music, in its hypnotic way, lulled me to sleep.  The taking off shakiness of the plane rocked me into a deeper darkness of dreamland limbo.

I woke up some time later, it was dark outside the window, and dark inside the plane; signaling that most had fallen asleep to try and keep up with the time difference.  Not dad.  He had a light on his tray and was busy working away.  I watched him for a little bit and memories of childhood flooded back.  Dad always a click or two away from the office.  Always doing his best to stay on top.  Dad worked as a software design tech, building ultimate websites for multi-million dollar companies.  Plus when he was younger, he was one of the best hackers in the continental U.S., and that's saying something.  Yeah, my dad is a computer geek; but being a computer geek pays off in the long run.  Or so I'm told.