Chapter One: Tarnished Rings

Start from the beginning

"That doesn't take very much." Anika leaned her head against the wall and closed her eyes, grateful for the relief Andre was giving her body. Her neck and back were also killing her, but nothing hurt worse than her feet.

"So. You plan on telling me how and when you and Lucious engaged in D.C.? Did you and Lucious get back together or something?" The last engagement Andre remembered happened over a year ago, back when Cookie literally showed her ass to her family. 

"Yeah. About three weeks ago. I don't know what I was thinking." Anika looked down at the ring on her left hand - a beautiful diamond cluster that Leah had given Lucious to slip on her finger. "A hand-me-down ring for a hand-me-down Lyon," Lucious had noted, and Leah slapped Lucious so hard that he staggered backwards. "A couple of weeks after Lucious threatened to have me killed, he came to me on some 'let's-try-to-make-this-work' thing. I knew in my heart that it was a huge mistake, but all I could think was that maybe if I could get Lucious to at least like me again, that maybe me and my baby had a chance. Maybe even back to the way things used to be."

Back when Anika had a home and a job and a future with Lucious, Andre thought. Before Cookie showed up. Everything for Anika had been golden until his mother showed up and ruined Anika's life in an instant. "So we went and got the license and planned on getting married the next day," Anika continued. "But later that night, Lucious got drunk and started sounding like the old Lucious again. So once he passed out, I hightailed it back to New York and figured I'd take my chances on my own."

That Anika had slept with Lucious went unsaid. "Wow." Andre let it all sink in. "So you two are really married."

"Yeah

"Yeah. We are. Where is my beloved husband, anyway?"

Andre chuckled dryly. "Out making horrible life decisions."

"Worse than mine?"

"Possibly." While Anika was pleading with her parents to come watch her make the biggest mistake of her life, Lucious had tracked Cookie down to the Sheraton Hotel, where a weekend conference was being held for some of the world's most brilliant and established individuals in the field of international security. The wedding ceremony hadn't even started before photos of Cookie walking through the Sheraton with a number of agents surrounding her hit the internet. As the totality of Cookie's actions became clear, the expression on Lucious's face registered from shock to hurt to pure hatred. Still, Lucious remained calm, turning to his team of bodyguards.

"Go get that bitch," was all he said.

While Leah was trying to convince the new Mrs. Lyon not to starve herself to death, one of the four of bodyguards Lucious dispatched to the Sheraton had the unfortunate duty of telling Lucious that one of his men was in the emergency room, while the other two took off and would never been seen again. Tommy, Rosey and Andre all had to pry an outraged Lucious off the final goon named Pancho, who had a broken nose and a shattered orbital bone. He had barely survived the brutal attack just to face Lucious's wrath.