Things You Tend Not To See Coming

Start from the beginning

"I expected a breeze or maybe some full on wind, not snow."

"Well, it's a good thing you didn't come out of that chrysalis with fire powers," Natasha teased, walking after Clint.

"Did everyone else know we were going to be in snow?" She asked. The other six Avengers nodded, making various affirming sounds. She grumbled and marched after them.

"Remember the plan?" Steve asked her as they walked. She wrapped her arms around herself.

"Get to the base if you can. Don't kill anyone," she said, tucking her chin into her turtleneck.

"And?"

"Smash some things," she said through her shirt with a smile.

"And?"

She rolled her eyes.

"Don't get killed."

"Right. We all ready?"

There was a chorus of yes's from the Avengers. Steve smiled.

"Avengers, let's kick some Hydra butt."

"Language!" Cap yelled at Tony into the coms. Ella almost doubled over from laughter, unable to hear the rest of their conversation.

She was doing very well with the 'punching not killing'. There was a trail of men laying behind her in varying degrees of pain and consciousness.

"Loki's scepter must be here," Thor said. "Strucker couldn't mount his defense without it. At long last."

"At long last is lasting a little long, boys," Natasha replied, breathing hard. Ella, who was sticking close to Clint like she was told, punched a soldier in the face, hearing the sickening crunch of his nose.

"Yeah, I think we lost the element of surprise," Clint added through clenched teeth as he shot a few more men.

"You think?" Ella asked, raising an eyebrow at him. Clint rolled his eyes and released another arrow.

"Wait a second," Tony interjected. "No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?"

Ella laughed again and hit a guy in the throat a little harder than she meant to.

"I know," Steve groaned. "It just slipped out."

Clint and Ella hid behind a few trees next to a defensive base that held a giant gun.

"Someone's gotta take the gun out," Ella said, more to him than anyone on coms.

"I vote you," Clint replied, not looking over at her. It was her turn to roll her eyes.

There was a rush of air and a streak of blue. Ella was about to comment on the strange wind when she saw Clint lying on the ground.

"What the hell happened?" She asked him, dropping to the ground beside him.

"I don't know," he growled, sitting up.