Chapter 4

Sarah hugged her knees, trembling about what Maverick wanted with her. "Why am I so special?"  she cerebrated to herself. She looked next to her and saw outside the cell, it was her bag she packed back at the house. Then, she crawled to that side of the cell and tried to grab it, but the stun bars were in the way. She then heard footsteps and moving gears and then hurried back to where she was and sat in her original position.

   Sargent Hilton ambulated with the skeletal robot, Maverick, towards her cell. "There she is... the lovely Sarah." Hilton put in a password into a keypad and let Maverick inside the cell.

   "Leave us." Maverick verbalized. Hilton then closed the cell and then left the two of them alone. "You are authentically pulchritudinous, Sarah. I have never visually perceived a human being quite like you."

   "At least I'm different." She said.

   He chuckled. "Rise." She then stood up and then he circled around her, examining her looks.

   "What are you doing?" She asked, raising a brow.

   "I am what you humans would say, 'checking you out.'"

   Sarah felt a little uneasy. He gave her a deplorable vibe. She did not know what to do. He was all over her. She examined him as he ceased in front of her, looking into his eyes as he looked into hers. "Is Abe alright?" She asked in a low, trembling voice.

   "He's fine... and away from you." He then gently stroked her cheek. "I execrate to trap her in here like a bird, but... I cerebrate you ken why."

   "I don't, actually. You're girlfriend, Sargent Hilton told me that you'd explain everything."

   "Oh... I see... you will join me for dinner, very elegant, and then I'll tell you everything you need to ken." Sarah gradually nodded. "I will make Sargent Hilton bring in an outfit for you." Then he left the cell and then Sarah sat down again.

   An hour later, Maverick entered her cell with her outfit. "Here, put it on."

   Sarah glared. "I will not change with you looking." She snapped. Then, he groaned and then left out of the cell and closed it. Then, he turned his back to me, not looking at her. She changed into the outfit. It was a long, fancy white dress, heels with precious stones, and a head piece of white jewels. She also had my hair in a tight bun. "Okay, you can look now."

   Hilton looked to her and smiled. "To tell you the truth, I took a look."

   "You are a monster."

   "Thank you, now we have to do your make-up and then, you'll see Maverick." Then, he went back to the cell and held out his hand. She hesitated to take it. "Do not worry, I will not bite." She then gently took his hand and he smiled. "That's my girl." He then led her into a tiny room with a chair, table full of makeup, and a female robot. "Here she is."

   The female robot gasped in exhilaration. "Oh wow, she's flawless." She then went over to Sarah and took her chin and turned her head gently.

   "This is Terra, she will be doing your makeup."

   "Nice to meet you, I'm Sarah." She said with a faint smile.

   "I know what to do with you." verbalized Terra. "Sit down please." Sarah went over to the lone chair and sat down carefully. "This is going to be frolicsome." When Hilton left, Terra began to do the make-up. It took her 10 minutes. "And... done! Take a look." Then, she gave Sarah a mirror.

   Sarah took the mirror and looked herself in it. A smile gradually formed. "Wow..."

   "Did I do good?"

   "Yes you did."

   Then, Hilton went in and smiled. "She looks great, she's yare for Maverick." He then took Sarah to a sizably voluminous dining room.

   When Maverick saw Sarah, he got up. "You look beautiful tonight."

   Sarah looked at the ground and then back at him. "Thank you." She spoke softly. "And you look the same."

   Maverick nodded to Hilton and General Hilton left the room. "Sit down." Sarah approached gracefully and sat down next to him. "What would you like to imbibe?"

   "What do you have?"

   "Everything."

   "Coke please." A robot waiter came up to her and poured her some coke. Gradually, she took a sip and then put it down.

   "Now... what do you want to know?"

   "What do you do to the humans and robots?"

   "I study them, and sometimes I take some components of robots and put them in the humans, or vice versa."

   Sarah closed her eyes, endeavoring not to visualize it. She then looked at him and asked, "Who engendered you?"

   "Johnathan El. He made-" Sarah interrupted him.

   "Military robots."

   "You are one smart girl."

   "Well, I studied all about robots and machinery."

   "Did you now? Intriguing. Tell me what you ken."

   "Humans made something that becomes a runaway process by contingency. It could be a self replicating machine but could as well be some aberrant algorithmic glitch that replicates and had an effect we can't understand. Could even be something like use of digital spreadsheets leads us into a world of trouble because we see dimensions of data in one main way but lack insight on its longer term complexity. Or could be something like Google search can read your mind and so decides to run itself without you.

   Machines become more like humans and a political struggle ensues.

   For the first, it genuinely helps if we learn to code remotely and learn a bit of math, enough to be able to understand the conceptions that drive advances in technology. If you cannot understand probability, statistics, read a graph, do some algebra (Even throw in a Fourier transform in there), then you cannot have an idea of the forces that move the world around you.

   In the first case, the 'take over the world' thing is more like you find yourself in a world you don't like, but you do not understand how it happened. Something like the automated movie booking systems. You become a machine, although you could be much more, because of the world that interfaces with you."

   Maverick was surprised. Suddenly, he began to applaud gradually. "It's incredible, you've studied well, and you may be of use to me."

   Sarah frowned. "What do you mean?"