Chapter One: Her New Life

A small girl with barely any strength left in her body struggled to keep her eyes open. The sounds of her starving stomach was the only thing she could hear until she couldn't hear anything at all. The only thing that kept her going was the will to survive when her legs wouldn't go any further.

"I'm so hungry...so hungry. I can't move..." Her weak thoughts echoed in her head.

"Hey! You alright?!" A voice was calling out to her. A friendly voice that had come to save her.

"A voice?! Whose voice is that?" She slowly opened her eyes to see a silhouette of a person standing over her.

"Oh good, your conscious. If you past out from hunger the you're like me. You and I, we're different from the others." He knelt down and brushed her shaggy blonde bangs the obstructed her vision out of her face.

"Like him? We're different? How are we different?" She slipped back into darkness has she felt her numb, limped body being lifted up and carried away.

A lone soul traveled aimlessly throughout the Rukon District what seemed like forever until she collapsed from hunger. Her short blonde hair was tangled and messy and her gold eyes were half glazed over. The last thing she remembered before slipping into total darkness and closing her heavy eyes was red hair.

It had to have been a while before she opened her eyes again. Her hair was cleaned and untangled which aloud everyone to see its true length. Her hair went down to the length of her chin. She also had bandages wrapped around her arms, hands, legs, and ankles. She Looked around to find herself in a small, rundown shack filled with other kids.

"Oh, you finally woke up!" A small boy with brown hair and green eyes noticed that she had woken up. He spoke really kindly to her. "Renji Ni-san said that you might be hungry when you wake up. Here you go." She was given a wooden bowl that contained soup that didn't look really good and a chunk of bread. "Sorry if it's not the beast, but it's all we have to work with. Oh! We don't know your name. What is it?"

"Hid--"

"We're back!!"

She wasn't even able to say her first name when the familiar voice from before reached her ears. Quickly, she turned her head to see him. A boy with red hair up in a spiky ponytail, brown eyes. He was wearing a typical sleeveless light gray kimono with a red sash and he also wore dark gray under shorts and black wrist bands.

"RENJI Ni-san!!" All the kids went running up to Renji to see what he had brought back for them. He started handing out small bags to each kid when he noticed that the one he had brought back earlier that day was awake.

"Oh, I see that our guest is awake. The name's Renji Abarai, nice to meet cha." Renji walked up next to her and shook her hand.

"Hide Tachibana." She said with a soft but scratchy voice.

"What was that?" Renji joked around by putting his hand to his ear like he was pretending not to hear her.

"My name is Hide Tachibana!" This time she was more forceful with her response as she also kind of glared at Renji.

"Nice to meet you Hide. If you have no place to go you can stay here. But you will have to pull your own weight too, even if you are a girl." Renji smiled at her and held out his hand again to welcome her to his group.

"Alright and thank you, Abarai-sama." Hide smiled back and took Renji's hand. A light blush of scarlet flushed over Hide's cheeks.

"You can just call me Renji." Renji's face also blushed with a light scarlet as he tried to not look so embarrassed.

Every day was a fight for survival where Hide, Renji, and their group lived. Hanging Dog is one of the most violent districts of the Rukon. Especially for kids. To protect the ones who are the most important to you was your top priority than anything else.

Hide became like the big sister of the group and even adopted the name Onee-chan from the smaller kids. But beside of getting a new name both she and Renji started to realize that they started to obtain some new abilities as well.

"Abarai-sama! Abarai-sama! Look at this! Hide had made a giant ball of red like energy in the palm of her hand.

"That great Hide, but I've told you over a thousand times to call me Renji, no Abaris-sama." Renji sounded a little irritated with his good friend for a few years now.

"I can't do that, at least, not yet."

"Why not?" Renji looked at Hide confused.

Hide took a deep breath and then made the red ball of energy disappear. "I can't call you by your first name until I've done something for you and become you equal."

"My equal? What do you mean my equal?" Renji looked really confused now.

"Don't worry about it. You'll see soon enough." Hide smiled and giggled at the confused look on Renji's face.

One day, down by the river, Hide went fishing alone to get some food for dinner while Renji and a few others went further into Hanging Dog to find supplies. She was almost done when a tall figure cast a shadow behind her.

"Your spirit energy is indeed strong for someone so young."

Hide quickly turned around with her homemade spear she used for fishing in her hands, ready to use for a weapon if she needed to. "Who are you and what do you want?"

"I am a friend and you my dear child should become a Soul Reaper."

"A Soul Reaper? Is that what you are?" Hide still held on tightly to her fishing spear.

"Yes. And I hope to see you tonight by the gate to the Siereitei with the hope of hearing the right decision." The tall figure turned and walked away. His short brown hair swaying in the wind and the setting sun reflecting off his thick dark rim glasses.

"A Soul Reaper huh? This just could be my chance to get stronger and become Abarai-sama's equal."

Hide returned to the old rundown shack that she called home with a spear full of fish still thinking about what the Soul Reaper had said.

"Welcome back Hide onee-chan from your fishing trip!" All the kids greeted her together.

"Hey everyone! Is Abarai-sama back yet?" Hid started to untie the fish from her spear.

"No, he's not back yet." The same boy from before informed her while getting a fire going to make food.

"Alright...well, here's dinner, " Hide handed the fish to the boy. "Make sure to cook them all the way through this time. We don't need anyone getting sick this time."

"Alright!"

Hide went to the area she called her own that sat right next to Renji's. Laying there and starting at the ceiling she thought about what the Soul Reaper had told her.

"I hope to see you again tonight by the gate to the Seireitei..."

"Sorry, Abarai-sama, everyone. But I need to become stronger, so I can protect all of you from getting hurt." Hide quickly wrote down a letter and placed with Renji's things before quietly slipping way had headed towards the gate to the Seireitei.

Running as fast as she could towards the giant gate she was able to make out the figure of the Soul Reaper from earlier that day.

"I see that you've decided to come. What's your decision?"

Hide took a deep breath and put has much determination as she could in her eyes. "I want to do it. I want to become a Soul Reaper."

The Soul Reaper smiled. He was pleased with Hide's answer.

"Excellent."