Chapter 35: A Lady In Red

Start from the beginning

“My lord?” The woman disappeared into the crowd, lost in the tumult.

The Earl looked up at Sebastian; the strangest look was on the butler’s face. “Yes, what is it?”

“No, it’s nothing. Forgive me; I just thought…that woman seemed familiar.”

A mournful cry caught their attention, directing it instead to a mourning dove that perched on the top of a street lamp. A note held firmly in its foot. It dropped the note before flying away in the direction of the lady in red.

Odd…

__________________________________________________________

The dancers in the hall caught each other and twirled in a line dance as Sebastian and Ciel watched from the edge of the room, looking for any flash of color that may give their prey away. The note that the dove had dropped had asked, in sweeping penmanship, them to attend a party this evening at one of the well to do merchants of the port.

Frankly Sebastian found it ridiculous to be here, he would much rather be back at the manner, doing anything else. He watched a young couple on the edge of the line dance twirling to their own tune, eyes holding nothing but the other.

A pang went through his chest at the sight of them. Why did it still have to hurt so much? That every time he heard music he wanted to take the instrument and beat the player bloody with his own tool. Why?

He glanced down at The Earl to see a similarly bored expression, and knew that the boy had no wish to be here either. If that note hadn’t told them otherwise they wouldn’t have even contemplated coming to this soiree.

“Ladies in gentlemen we are now going to introduce the main entertainment of the evening!” Announced the host, a round merchant with a vibrant red beard that reached down to rest on top of his ample girth, “For your entertainment we have booked a woman so vicious and dangerous, that countries have invited her to be their General. The Lovely Steel Rose!” The lights dimmed as a young woman stepped out from amongst the crowd, wearing a simple white gown that reached down to her knees.

As the more close minded women sniffed in derision at the amount of skin the girl was showing, Sebastian watched with interest. Was this the woman that had dropped the note?

The crowd fell into a hushed silence as the band built up a tune, a slow lilting melody that by itself would make the heart weep. The girl was still for a moment before she moved, swaying to the music silently, a wicked katana blade flicking in and out in its own deadly dance as she moved.

A flash of blue met Sebastian’s gaze as the dancer faced him. She smiled and turned away again as the music pulled her away.

Kat...I must be losing my mind…it can’t be you…

Sebastian blinked and realized, unbeknownst to him, his feet had carried him unconsciously forward to the edge of the crowd, to the front row of people who watched the girl and her deadly dance. A few nobles muttered under their breath about self-important servants but he ignored them. It wasn’t really that much to ask to indulge himself this once, to watch this girl, that looked so much like Kat, dance.

“Bloody butler, you want to see her so bad, go dance with her.” Someone shoved him from behind, into the circle of space that had been left open for the girl to dance. She paused a moment, a swan paused in flight, before sheathing her katana.

Like a white viper she struck, moving faster than the stunned butler could even follow. He felt something slide passed his cheek, leaving a thin trail of blood. He looked to the side to see a slender wrist, wrapped in black leather, a dragon’s onyx eyes glared back at him.

“Kat…” He breathed, taking in her mischievously twinkling sapphire eyes.

Forgetting that they were being watched he pulled her close, cupping the side of her face and kissed her with every shred of longing and sadness he had felt, followed closely by the joy that had flared to life once again, when he had finally found her.

_________________________________________________________

“Show a little restraint please.” Sebastian nearly didn’t hear the command, so engrossed was he in the sweet taste of Kat’s lips on his. Reluctantly he pulled away, but kept a possessive arm wrapped around her shoulders. He ignored the stares of the other guests as he escorted Kat to the Earl.

She gave a small bow to the Earl, “Greetings, Young Master.”

Ciel kept his surprise covered well, his face betrayed none of his feelings, “You have some explaining to do.”

“I understand my lord.”

“I take you are also the one we are seeking?”

Kat grinned, “I don’t know sir, maybe.”

“Very well, then we are leaving.”

_________________________________________________________

Another Chapter  being posted....