“It’s smooth enough, but the viz isn’t too good.” He turned around helping Bob out of the aircraft. “Don’t forget feet on the metal only.”

     “Yep, I’m fine,” Bob told him.

     “Enjoy that Bob?” asked Barry.

      “Yeah, really good,” he said, putting his hand out shaking Barry’s. “Thanks very much for that.”

      Barry turned to me. “I’ll just have a quick brew then I’ll take you up for a few minutes, once around the field.”

      I don’t want a few minutes. I want the same as Bob. Oh well, at least I’m having a go. We walked back over to the van. Bob took the suit off and I slipped it on. It was far too big for me, but I didn’t care, it was warm and I was going flying. The thoughts of it made my heart race. I did sense some apprehension, but it was overwhelmed by my strong desire to go aloft.

     Barry warmed his hands around a flask cup. “Do yer wanna taste?” He offered Bob the cup, but Bob shook his head then he offered it to me and I refused also. I didn’t fancy drinking out of the same cup as someone I hardly knew. “Right, well, let’s go then,” he said, swigging back the last drops and screwing it back onto his flask.

     The words made me feel jittery as we walked across the grass, back to the little machine. This is it, we’re going for it.

     “Foot on that metal,” he pointed, “then push back into the seat.”

     The pod rocked under my weight then I turned around into the seat and Barry fastened the seat belt around my waist.

     “Yeah, that’s good. Now put this on,” he said, handing me the helmet. It was hard and heavy with a flip down visor, just like a motorbike helmet. It was white with soft black fabric which squashed against my cheeks and I instantly felt warmer.

For a moment all the sounds around me were muffled then Barry put his helmet on and I noticed a coil wire joining us together. I could hear his breathing as he climbed in front of me.

    “How’s that, can you hear me alright?” He pushed back, forcing my back against the thick pole. His arms were busy fastening his seat belt around his waist then I knew he was done as his body eased back into his chair.

     “Yep, I can hear you just fine.”

     “Good, me too,” he replied.

     It was very tight in my seat, but I liked that, it made me feel safe. At least I wasn’t going to fall out. I watched with great interest as Barry untied the control frame from the front strut and it swung forward in his hands. “Here put these on,” he said, reaching down, passing me a pair of gloves, which had been tucked away in a side pocket.

     I put them on and sensed Barry was doing the same. He looked around towards the back from both sides then shouted, “CLEAR PROP!” Reaching inside the pod, he came up with a handle. “I’m going to push back against you, a bit, when I pull this cord.”

     “Okay,” I replied. I wasn’t bothered, we were going flying.

     “Ignition on, full choke, get ready,” he said, yanking with all his might on the cord.

     I felt the engine shudder and the sound of wind from the rotating prop filled my ears then it spluttered and stopped.

     “Bugger!” said Barry, reaching under his seat. “I’ll try less choke.”

     It didn’t mean anything to me. I just wanted to get going.

     “Ready?”

     “Yep,” I felt him crushing me again, as he pulled back the cord, vicious, and determined.