The Headmaster of the orphanage was an educated man. He ruled the orphanage with a caring heart one day and an iron first the next. His name was Jeff Stumpton. Ten years ago he opened up his home for the destitute orphans. He also housed two caretakers named Landon and Judy.

     “Sarah,” called out Jeff.

     “Present,” she responded.

     “Kip.”

     “Here”

     “Dale,”

     “Here”

     “Nash” 

     No response...

     “Nash.... Where the blazes is Nash Flarkin?” exclaimed Jeff.

     “I heard something down near the pond,” responded Kallin, “I thought it was a deer at first but then I kept listening and I thought to myself maybe it wasn’t a deer because the way it sounded reminded me-”

     “Thats enough Kallin,” Judy said rolling his eyes. 

     As he finished, the front door swung open and in walked Nash. His tanned skin was wet from head to toe. He was grinning

     “Sorry I’m late.” Nash mumbled, “Dale you’ve got to try the pond, its still warm.” 

     “I think I’ll pass.” Dale said with a hint of sarcasm.

     “Master Flarkin I hope you realize that not only have you interrupted morning role-call, but you have taken the liberty to soil your clothes and now you’re telling the other orphans to partake in you reckless behavior. This is the third time that you have  disappointed me this month.” Jeff said beginning to look like a steamed lobster, “I want to see some more self respect from....”

     After that, Dale stopped listening, but whatever Headmaster Jeff said managed to make him even more upset. Dale could see Nash’s smile getting bigger. He couldn’t help it, the way that Headmaster Jeff looked when he was mad was comical to say the least. The only thing that Dale did hear, though, was Jeff proclaim. “Thats it! You’ll be doing the chores of the other orphans for the rest of the day! Everyone else is dismissed.” Nash’s smile disappeared. 

     Everyone went to the classroom except Dale. Nash picked up a bucket of water and began mopping the floor. Dale stooped down to the bucket and picked up a brush.

     “Was it worth it?” Dale asked. 

     “Absolutely, that water was pure bliss. I wish you were there.” Nash paused for a moment to think of something, “Dale you don’t have to be here. You did nothing wrong.”

     “I know.” Dale said beginning to scrub. “You do have to admit the way Headmaster Jeff looked was hilarious.” 

     Nash almost smiled.     

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

     Knock! Knock! The tired front door sang. 

     “I’m coming,” Landon, the caretaker, said as he made his way towards the front of the orphanage. In his hurrying, he almost tripped over Dale, who was still cleaning the wood floor.   

     Peering through the window he could see a tall thin man. He stood very erect with almost an aristocratic look. He wore a leather jacket with small spikes on each side. His jacket was pinned with two small medals. On his belt were weapons of all shapes and sizes, mostly composed of knives. Landon knew this outfit very well, it was from the nation of Bledsworth.

    Both of their eyes met through the pane of glass and Landon had no choice but to say something. 

     Dale could see Landon step outside and exchange words with the stranger. Almost immediately he returned, running up the rustic steps of the stairs. Dale and Nash passed a confused glance for a moment until Landon came down the steps with Headmaster Jeff. The headmaster swung the door open in a fury. Dale could see the stranger stand very still as he spoke to Jeff. He could tell that the headmaster was getting very perturbed by the Bledsworthians presence. Landon stood next to him as if bearing the lecture of an angry teacher. 

     Behind the aloof man stood even more people, all of which were wearing the same basic uniform. They looked tired and worn out, like Dale after a long days work. Something about the crowd of men made him shiver. Was it the way they looked that bothered Dale, or was it their deep staring eyes? He quickly looked away as a man glared at him through the glass pane. 

      The muffled sound of Jeff saying, “We don’t help anyone that wouldn’t help us,” could barely be heard as Dale strained his ear listening. The headmaster and caretaker came back inside as the strangers walked away. Dale felt glad that they were too far away to notice him staring. For some reason he also sensed a silent dread. The type of fear that you have when you outnumber a gang only to realize that in every corner and dark alleyway there are more thugs coming towards you.

     Everything was silent in the orphanage except the low monotone sound of Jeff and Landon talking upstairs. Nash continued mopping the floor with a tired sponge. He suddenly looked up.

     “What do you think that was about?” Nash asked in low voice, as if the ears of Bledsworth could hear them. “I’ve never seen a Bledsworthian around here before.” 

     “I’m not sure, but whatever it is it isn’t good.” 

     “I think that they wanted to set up camp.” 

     He didn’t respond. Dale couldn’t imagine living with soldiers. It felt impure and vile to even think of such a thing. 

     Dale got up and leaned his forehead against the window, catching the last glimpse of the soldiers before they disappeared into the forest leading out of Knowington.   

     ‘They don’t even belong in Brondolia,’ thought Dale.