II: Whispers in the Trees

Copyright © M.T.Wilson 2012 - All rights reserved

Thanks to  WritingProdigy who made the cover in the side picture. :)

II: Whispers in the Trees

    After washing in the lake and drying myself with a white towel I found on one of the shelves in the cabin, I headed across the path along which Cohen had left earlier. The sun was still beating down hard and the stones were quite warm beneath my naked feet. After a while I turned off the path as it began to head deeper into the woods. I made sure to stay fairly close to the tree line so I could still see the lake.

    At times I was forced to weave through the pine needles but eventually I made it to a narrow trail that must have been made by some kind of animal. As I walked the track became more overgrown and at one point I had to shimmy sideways to fit through a section where foliage had almost blocked off the whole trail.

    I moved silently but it was still a surprise for me when I was suddenly confronted by one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen.

    The deer stood a few metres away from me; her ears were pricked and listening intently as she chewed.  Her beady black eyes stared vaguely into the trees, glancing round occasionally for danger. It was as if I had become invisible, the deer acted as if I wasn’t even there.

    The bushes rustled to my left and the deer raised its head. A low wind blew through the trail and it sounded like the trees were whispering. There was a scuttling as the deer leapt down the path and disappeared into the trees. The sound turned into a quiet howling and I raised the knife that I had found the day before, casting wary glances around.

    A low growl came from the brush before me and I took a step backwards, the blade shaking in my hand. Was there something in the bushes? I didn’t know and I didn’t want to wait to find out. Almost as quickly as the deer had fled I was crashing through the trees, pushing branches out of my way hastily before running out onto the grass that bordered the edge of the forest. I didn’t stop until I reached the shingles by the lake.

    As I felt my feet come into contact with the rough edges of stone I looked over my shoulder. The wind had dropped and the forest now seemed as calm and luscious as it had before. I did not return to the trail that day.

    I was on the opposite side of the lake to the cabin and began the slow walk back. In my mind I ran through the events of the day before, struggling to claim a grip on the very thing that I couldn’t understand. Cohen. Why had he so eagerly helped me? His explanation was good enough but it didn’t explain why he was so willing to take me in and help me right away.

    By the time I reached the cabin it was early afternoon and my stomach was growling, though I couldn’t understand why. I must have been hungry. Now I was on Earth I would have to eat food. I resolved to ask Cohen for something when he came back.

    I sunk down next to the cabin, resting my head on the dark wood; the shade was cool and goose bumps ran up my arms. Time seemed to pass so quickly, at least compared to the timeless world I once belonged to. Eventually, as the sun began to set, I saw Cohen heading towards me, emerging through the trees.

    As soon as he reached me he handed me a sandwich which I scoffed greedily, it tasted like sawdust to me but I couldn’t care less right then. It felt good to sate my hunger.

    Cohen slumped down next to me and removed his cap, letting it fall to the ground; he ran a hand through his curls and droplets of sweat fell into his lap. He was panting.

    “Hot?” I asked through my mouthful of food.

    He nodded. “I practically ran here, sorry I took so long.”