Chapter 5: The Sound of the Shadows

The following morning is exceptionally ordinary. In fact, the following week is. Mory is swamped with school work, chapter tests right around the bend. She stresses and studies, locking herself in her room with the hopes of being productive. She had began by studying in the living room, the sofa being one of the most comfortable places she could think of. It didn't last long. Every time Mory would try to differentiate between enantiomers and diastereomers, Grim would peek over her shoulder with hundreds of questions on the tip of his tongue. Ever since their little adventure together, Grim has slowly begun to warm up to Mory. He takes care to ask about her day and to tell her of where he has been. She supposes it's his thinly veiled way of preventing her from becoming curious about his disappearances. She appreciates it, just not when she needs to concentrate on schoolwork.

Mory often considers studying on campus, but the thought makes her lonely. She had never been popular, but she was never a total outcast. Lately, she is left out of the conversations between people she once thought were at least acquaintances. She can joke and complain just like them, yet she consistently finds herself omitted from conversation. Mory tries to jump in, offering an opinion here or an answer to a question there, but she is only met with total exclusion. It's like she wasn't even there.

It is the Thursday morning of the test, and Mory can't help but overhear another conversation. It's difficult not to, she justifies, when the conversation is taking place in the seat directly next to you. The lecture room is unusually packed and the panic in the air is almost palpable. She smirks to herself, feeling prepared and only a little worried. Her self triumph vanishes, though, as the conversation beside her steers her thoughts away from chemistry.

"After this test, party at my place," the guy beside her, Sam, begins. "If we survive this test anyway. I know I'm going to need some drinks."

A girl in front of him turns around. Mory thinks her name is Rachel. "You're off campus right?" When Sam nods in confirmation, she flashes him a flirtatious smile. "I'll see you there, Sammy." Many of her classmates chime in with their desire to attend, and before Mory knows it, class has begun.

*.*.*.*

Back at home, Mory throws herself onto the sofa. The morning conversation has her bummed out, even more than usual. She isn't really one for parties, but the fact that no one even thought to look to her hurts. So she sulks, laying on the sofa pouting, trying to figure out why things have changed. Just last semester, she would have at least been invited. Perhaps it's because she no longer has her roommate to boost her popularity, she thinks bitterly.

Mory doesn't hear Grim return, her face mushed into a pillow. He watches her for a few moments, noting her odd behavior, before disappearing to give her some privacy. He returns a couple minutes later, his coat on the hook and his shoes by the door. He sits down beside her legs, completely out of his depth. He reaches his hand out to her, to rest his hand on her shoulder to provide comfort, but draws back. This continues, his hesitancy getting the best of him.

Mory feels the couch shift under his weight, a spark of embarrassment going through her that she quickly fights down with her apathy. She doesn't acknowledge him, waiting for him to do the talking. She isn't in the mood to be interrogated. Knowing him, he'll probably just sit there and watch her like she is some kind of failed experiment. She is surprised when he places his hand on her shoulder.

"Are...you okay?" Grim asks hesitantly. She hears the uncertainty in his voice and knows that he must be floundering. He has warmed up to normal human interaction, but this is a whole new level.

"No," Mory mutters sorely. Why is it that the only person who dare speak to her anymore is the personification of death? Sure, she appreciates his effort right now, but that is really beside the point. It feels wrong to be comforted by death, her mind immediately going to cliches of dead loved ones being better off after passing away.