Introduction

Chrollo Pov.

I was in the middle of racking my brain with the paperwork that laid scattered across my workspace, when today's newspaper struck my desk. Sending loosely paperwork running for the floor. I gripped the newspaper tightly with one hand, before shifting my eyes up to see Shalnark. He tried to mumbled something through a well placed glazed donut in his mouth, causing it to shift as he talked. One of his hands gripping a white styrofoam cup of steaming black coffee.
"Pull the donut out of your mouth and talk properly kid."
I murmured, plucking the cup of coffee out of his hand, being sure not to spill any of the dark liquid on me. His mouth gaped in protest, allowing the donut to slip out from its holding place. He quickly scrambled to catch it, it rolled from one hand to the other, before finally managing to catch it on the 4th try. Shalnark wasn't the brightest crayon in the coloring box, but the boy was honest and had a incredible drive for a sense of justice. When chief assigned him to be my partner I was a little hesitant at first, but in the last year he's really grown on me.
"The chief wanted to know if you read today headline yet?"
He asked, flopping down into my spare office chair and taking a loving bite of his donut.
My eyes shifted back down to the newspaper, giving it a scan for the important things.

 My eyes shifted back down to the newspaper, giving it  a scan for the important things

I tossed the newspaper at him, forcing a flench as the paper fluttered around him. I lit a tiny cigarette with a brushed black lighter.
"Their a bunch of pansies looking for attention. Then taking it out on the world when they got denied it."
Shalnark kneeled down, picking up the dissembled newspaper, turning it into one big paper ball with every piece.
"That may be true, but their still taking lives in the process. Isn't it our job to stop them."
His voice trembled with sympathy. Letting me know that poetic need for justice was coming through.
I stood up with a heavy sigh, retrieving my black overcoat. I tossed my cigarette into the cup of untouched blacked liquid. I never really liked the stuff, I just liked giving Shalnark a hard time. He jumped back up into an upright position at my sudden actions, gripping a large paper ball between his hands.
"Get rid of that thing. You look like a stupid idiot trying out for a poor basketball team."
He attempt to make a professional shot for the waist basket in the corner, missing it by a mile. "Even the poor team wouldn't have taken him in."
I thought, watching his disappoint that he failed my imaginary tryouts. I slugged my overcoat over my shoulder and walked out my office beckoning Shalnark to follow with a wave of my hand.
He quickly followed hot pursuit.
"Where are we going boss."
Trying to hide the ecstatic in his voice.
I smirked.
"We're gonna go check out a lead."

Reader Pov.

The Amtrak roared down the metal tracks, racing through the underground subway. I stayed put in the seat Feitan had assigned me, as I observed the small group of people who rode in the same train cart as me. A happy young couple dressed in their high-school uniform whispered sweet nothings to one another, letting a giggle or laugh escape them every now and then. I tried to imagine what that was like, to have someone care about you above all other things. I started to envy their love for one another, but it soon festered to hatred. A cold hand clasped my shoulder, drawing my startled eyes upward. Feitan stood over me, dressed in a pair of black tight fitting jeans and black hoodie that sported his figure off well.
"It's time."
His voice came out muffled from behind the half faced skull mask. Only his eyes showed and bits of his black spike hair from underneath his hood. I gave a shy nod, tugging my own black mask up to it's final resting place just above the brim of my nose. I positioned myself by one of the anchored metal poles in the walkway, squeezing the cool smooth metal with both hands. Feitan copied my actions right beside us. Our hands slightly bumping into one another as the train continued down the tracks. Feitan is our leader of the Angels Of Mercy. We follow behind him blindly, without a second thought. I've found him sexually attractive since day one, but I don't think he sees me that way or he doesn't show it at least. I could feel myself getting flustered as I stared at him, as his body swayed to the rhythm of the train ride. He didn't seem to notice me watching, his mind was on the task at hand. A loud explosion filled the air, followed by the god awful sound of the train's wheel scraping the rails, as it tried to stop itself. The train started jerking sporadically, tossing it's passengers around like rag dolls. Pain coursed through my arms as I strained to hold on with each jerk. A surge of fear fluttered through my stomach and up to my throat, as I could feel my grip slipping away. The train bucked again, pulling the metallic bar right out of my grasp. My body caught air with nothing to keep it tied down as the train leapt from the tracks on a runway course. I felt a steel like grip catch me around the waist and slam me back against the metallic pole chest first. Feitan wrapped his arms around me locking me into place as the train finally came to a crashing stop. Feitan casually removed his hands, at the sound of our other members approaching.
"Man, that was a hell of a ride. Let's do that again."
Uvogin cheered, arching his shoulders back as he stretched.
"Of course you enjoyed it."
Machi hissed, pinning her long flowing pink hair back up into a ponytail.
The lights flickered off and on. Sparks leapt from open exposed wires. I heard a faint cry out, but not for help. Even else heard it too, gaining their curiosity. I stepped over fallen wreckage, and battered bodies. It was the young high school boy, he laid in a pool of his own blood reaching out for his high school love. Her body rested a couple feet away,   her eyes resembled that of a dolls eyes.
No matter how many times he called out her name, she was never gonna respond again. Now he finally understood what it felt to be like us and soon hopefully the whole world will know.