“Get changed.” He smirks

“Why are you blinded by my sexiness?” he motions to his body. I snort.

“No.”

“You don’t have to lie. You know you are.” He says with a smirk.

I pat his shoulder and say “You keep telling yourself that.” But I’m just kidding. I walk out of the room and head downstairs.

When I reach the bottom I see people sitting on the couch. Kale comes up to me with a devilish smile. “Would you like to explain what I saw up there?” He seems like he’s older than us, when he’s not. “He had nothing but boxers on and he kissed me.” And that’s all I tell him. He smiles mischievously and says “Yeah okay”  But it sounds like he doesn’t believe me. “I’m serious! Just go ask Julian!” I say a little bit too loudly than I intended.

“Okay, okay. Damn, chill.” He says

I walk away content that I actually won that conversation. I walk over to everyone I actually know or that have at least seen and say hello, or other pleasantries. I see Ever in the crowd and I literally push my way to her. She hugs me tightly when I finally reach her. It’s been what? Six days since I haven’t seen her. Six days too long.

When she releases me the first thing she says is:

“So I heard what happened with you and Julian.” She wiggled her eyebrows

“Nothing happened. Who told you?” I said while she tried to make her face seem serious.

“Kale.” She replies. “That big mouth.” I say and she starts laughing. I can’t help but laugh either.

Julian comes up to us as we’re laughing. He snakes his arm around my waist and kisses my cheek.

“Hey, Ever.”

“Hey, Julian.” She replies. It’s the first conversation they’ve had since Julian and I started dating. “2012!” he says and pumps his free hand in the air. “Yeah…” she replies while awkwardly pumping her fist in the air. “I’m gonna go get some pop.” And she goes off into the kitchen.

Julian presses his nose to my cheek. I can’t stop the smile from spreading on my face. “I love you.” He says quietly as he rubs his nose on the side of my face.

“I know,” I push his face away, just a little. I turn in his embrace so I’m inches away from his face. He holds me closer so there is no space between our bodies. His forehead rests on mine as well as his nose. “I love you too.” His face brightens up as I say those words. He closes the space between us by pressing his lips to mine.

“I know.” He says against my lips.

                                      ***************************

I was over by the drink table deciding if I should get water or pop. I chose the pop, I mean it’s not like I drink it every day, right? When I ‘m about to sit down on the couch, I see Ever and Julian walking into the kitchen. To me it seems, unusual. So I go over to the kitchen door.

I am not snooping around or anything, I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on. It’s not being nosy, if that’s what you’re thinking. I could hear Julian and Ever talking quietly behind the door.

“Julian, I swear if you hurt her I’ll-” I make out Ever talking to Julian.

“I won’t.” Julian says quietly.

“You better not. She’s been through enough break-ups. If she losses you, she’ll lose her best friend. She can’t afford to have another heart-break. She really cares about you, and you know that, she’ll be crushed if you give up on her. If you hurt her, I’ll hurt you one way or another, simple as that.” Ever hisses at him

“I know that. I won’t hurt her. Why would I hurt the girl that means everything to me? Like come on, Ever, would I ever do that?” Julian says, and by the way he said it I could tell he’s not lying.

I mean everything to him…

Those words make my insides turn into mush.

“We’ll just see.” And then I hear them coming towards the door. I race back to the couch, right when I sit down they come through the door.

Julian comes over and sits next to me; he takes my hand and moves his thumb over my knuckles. “You mean everything to me, you know that right?” I nod and say “I do now.”              

                             ******************************

It’s just a few minutes before midnight. Julian and I are dancing, Ever’s dancing seems to have caught herself a man. She’s dancing with Noah; I didn’t think she’d be one to go for the younger guys but…. Julian’s eyes never seem leave mine. His eyes are blue pools that I finally give up swimming and I drown. I drown myself in his eyes.

When he’s happy they’re the brightest blue you could think of. When he’s sad, they’re a dull blue, almost navy blue. Depending on how he feels, his eyes reflect that.

I never thought fall in love with me best friend. Matter of fact, I never thought we’d be dating. I don’t regret my decisions though, I have a feeling we’ll last. That we’ll make it through the storms that threaten to tear us away from each other and even if they try, I’ll try even harder to keep him.  I know that for a fact.

Right when there is one second left ‘till midnight, Julian kisses my just as everyone screams “HAPPY NEW YEAR”

It was a kiss full of promise for the year to come