Different - Chapter One

I am now eleven years old. I learned what happened to my mother, and the nurse was not my mom, but she treated me well. Again, I heard the stinking shrieks from The Forbidden Room. Those dumb people, sneaking in there like fools! I snuck in before, and stubbed my toe on a lego. That's why they scream all night. Because it's filled with legos, thumbtacks,    nails and more. Even spikes. And even worse, there's no way out until the morning, when guards clear out every room. I carried my food to my cell and sat down bored. I tapped my feet and ate in silence.

    Now, it was the best part of the day. I could go outside. Nobody knew, but sometimes I'd jump the fence and explore things. I picked up slimy frogs. "What are you doing?" Someone asked me. "I found a frog." He looked at me, eyes narrowed. "Lemme see it." Of course. He was a guard. I handed him the frog and he threw it into a nearby pond. For the rest of the time, I left the asylum.

   Outside was nice. I talked to frogs and minnows by the pond. They understood me. I liked them. "Kacey? What are you doing outside the asylum?!" The nurse caught me. She ran to me and grabbed my hand, sprinting back. The staff here always were so insecure and terrified whenever a mistake was made. What would happen to them? Would they become prisoners, too? Yuh oh. I knew what was happening. Two people tied me onto a board and attached some sort of shock collar thing into me. They pinched me with something, and I screeched. Electricity shot through me and I struggled to move. I silently blanked out.