Chapter Fifteen: Ella Fordman & Phoenix Adams: Regrets

~~~~

Dedicated to malkakateri4ka for the amazing banner to the side! I love it so much <3

~~~~

 ****PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END. NEED YOUR OPINION!****

I should've known.

I should've known from the way Leslie said my name, the way she cleared her throat awkwardly, and the little whimpers Candice made with each word. Should’ve guessed from the looks in their eyes, the awkward tension at the table, everything that led up to that moment.

But I didn't. Because I was stupid, and I wasn't paying attention, and I was too busy trying to get my point across to Candi and Leslie. And now I looked like an idiot to Phoenix, whom had a look I could only describe as crestfallen plastered on his features. His whole face had crumpled, and his hazel eyes flickered with a hurt I’d never experienced before, probably because, if the situation were reversed, Phoenix would never have said such a thing about me. He may have been arrogant, but he was far too sweet for callous words like that.

"I should go," he said quietly, avoiding eye contact and pivoting on his heel, fleeing before I could say anything else.

"Phoenix," I whispered, horror-struck, glued to my spot, staring after him helplessly.

What are you doing, you idiot? a voice inside of me chastised. Go after him!

Without further pause, I started running, not sparing a glance at all the others in the food court, only focusing on Phoenix's retreating back. I pushed through crowds of people, almost tripped over a perambulator, and stumbling into a couple of elderly women discussing the latest issue of Knitting Monthly.

By the time I got to him he was already outside, the sun shining down on the parking lot, but he had reduced his pace to a jog, and, with a burst of energy I shot forward and seized his wrist, pulling him to me.

"Phoenix," I said breathlessly, my heart pounding against my ribcage as I struggled to get my breath back. "Stop."

"Why?" he spat out bitterly. "So you can insult me some more? No, thanks, I think I’ve heard enough for today."

I sighed and ran a hand through my thick mane of hair. "You weren't supposed to hear any of that."

Finally he met my eyes, something he had been avoiding doing since I had stopped him. But when he did, I noticed his eyes had darkened with anger, and he was breathing heavily, his chest heaving up and down. I bit my lip and faced him squarely.

"Great. So you figured instead of telling me face-to-face all of my flaws so that I could improve on them, you decided to talk behind my back like some petty little cheerleader. I thought you were better than that."

"It wasn't like that," I replied, knowing how bad it sounded. No wonder he was so hurt! Things weren't sounding good for me right now.

He arched an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah? Then what was it like?"

I opened my mouth and then shut it. I had no idea what to say to him. I couldn't tell him the real reason; how Candi thought we were secretly together and I had just been dispelling the rumors about him. That would raise the awkwardness level ten-fold.

I searched for some kind of excuse that would get me off the hook, but none came forward. After staring into my eyes earnestly for a few seconds, awaiting some kind of answer, he wrenched his wrist from my grip and turned away, but not before I saw his face fall in disappointment. "That's what I thought."