4

In the field where Reznik makes us run laps the frost in the grass crunches beneath my feet. Back before the waves my mom, my sister and I would roll around in the frosted grass in our backyard because we liked the way it sounded. My sister.. Grace also made it hilarious because she'd constantly roll on top of me laughing her ass off.

"Okay 53.. let's see what you've got." Reznik says.

Our squad isn't bad in the running department, except for Oompa and Nugget who are the slowest and Dumbo who gets distracted while running and slows down. Zombie tends to stay behind them pushing them along. I stay near the front because I'm fast. I don't mean to brag or anything but I know I'm fast. My mom said that my dad was fast too. So I assume that's where I get it from.

Nothing special really happened in our morning run. Except for the usual 10 sit ups for Nugget and Oompa because they're 'too gosh darn slow'. Once we got back to the barracks we had about an hour of free time before we go off to the shooting range. Ringer decided to play chess. Typical Ringer. This time she walked over to me and asked me if I wanted to play. I just sighed and said "My sister liked to play chess. She never taught me how though so I have no clue how to play."

"Well Slick, she's dead now, get over it." Flint says. And before anyone could say or do anything I'm bent down grabbing both of Flints ankles and pulling so he falls to the ground Zombie and Ringer start running over towards us but I ignore them. I'm so furious, I feel like one of those race horses with the blinders on. I'm tuning out the world around me, I hear some yelling but im so focused it sounds muffled. I punch him in the cheek two times and right when I'm getting ready to swing at his nose I feel arms around my stomach picking me up, It's Zombie. Once he gets me off of Flint Poundcake and Dumbo go to help him up. Once we're both standing I struggle in Zombies grip which he's now standing behind me holding me around my ribs so I don't lash out again.

"What's your problem?!" I hiss at Flint. And my hands curl up into tight fists which Ringer notices so she comes to my side grabbing one of my arms while Zombie grabs the other.

"Cmon, let's go."Ringer says calmly as she and Zombie guide me towards the door. Just as we're exiting the room Zombie turns his head to the side looking back into the barracks.

"Private Flint I have a suggestion. Shut up." He says sternly which makes the corners of my mouth turn upwards slightly.

"Where are we going?" I turn and ask Ringer shaking myself from their grip.

"To Dr. Pam obviously." She says as if I had the brain the size of a peanut and I was automatically supposed to know that.

"Why?"

Zombie takes my right wrist and holds my hand up to my face. My middle finger and knuckle were swelling a little plus I could already see bruising in both my middle and ring finger. "Oh." I say quietly.

••••••••••

Sorry this chapters so short I just couldn't come up with many ideas. Also if you focus on the first paragraph it reveals a lot about Slick. Anyways thanks so much for reading!

Please please PLEASEEE comment feedback and suggestions because I honestly don't know how I'm doing on this book!

-L