"We're going to the mall. Doing some shopping for new clothes. You know you need a new dress for Sandra's little gathering she has every year around this time," she rambled, leaning her hand against my door. "She's always been envious of our family. That woman needs quite help, God forgive me." 

I wanted to roll my eyes so much that they'd fall off. This was worse than being glued to a Roman statue naked for all the foreign people to see. They'd broadcast it all over the world, too. My boobs on full view for everyone. Too cool, really. 

She is so oblivious. Sandra is envious of her and my dad, of course. That old, saggy woman has had a crush on my dad for about six years now, the total amount we've lived across from her. Ever since she moved in, she's had it in for my mother and casually flirts with my dad on the spot. Seriously, my mom can't get any more stupid than this. 

"Okay. I'll get ready." There was no way I was going to the mall in a long ass skirt. Hell no. 

My mom frowned. "What? You look fine. Let's go." 

"Mom," I began, already groaning. 

"Stop, Serenity. You look fine. Now let's go before I change my mind." She snapped hastily, sighing heavily and muttering about how disobedient I am. I want to reach to my wonderful complexion and be able to rip my face off because I don't want anyone ever seeing me again after this trip to the mall.

I wouldn't say my mother is totally abusive but she is a crazy bitch. She's psychotic. I know many "adolescent" brats think the same thing of theirs. But I'm saying, if you've ever spent more than ten minutes my mom you'd come to the conclusion to even bother to question God why she's on this planet. And that may be really horrible, but sometimes I'm certain that my questioning will one day be answered.

Wasting no time, I got off my bed and joined my parents down by the front door. They were all dressed casually. My mother in her usual long skirt and old lady flats, old lady hairstyle -- which isn't much help for your imagery, but you get the point -- and her old lady shirt. We looked like servants from the 19th century.

My dad, though, was the only one that looked reasonable. My entire family is so ridiculous I can't put together how their minds work. I'm the only functioning being in this family and I'm the one on drugs and having sex all around. Please, I'm a precious logical segment of your genes. The rare savior of the generations to come. I'm definitely not raising my kids like my mom does with me and Willie. 

I didn't have a purse. No makeup on. Not a trace of fashionable sense of style. By the long, pink skirt I had on and the irritating yellow blouse that felt like it was choking my neck, you could tell I was probably the loser virgin at school.

"Okay, so we're going to be heading into different shops. Serenity, you may be able to shop at a few stores on your own. Get yourself appropriate things. I will give you money as your budget. I don't have time to go around to every store with you and then Willie." My mother explained as he began the painfully slow drive to the mall.

I sat in the back seat lazily, not motivated to shop whatsoever.

"And your father and I will accompany Willie, of course. Then we'll meet at the food court at eight and maybe eat at one of those restuarant you like, Serenity. I feel as you've been punished enough." Through the rear mirror, she sent me a genuine smile.

My whole life with you is a punishment.

I tossed her a faint smile, feeling my stomach quench in frustration and the reality that I couldn't say anything to her. My feelings were nothing to her, but she was still my mother.

On the other hand, I'm glad we're not going to be sharing an eventful shopping spree together. They're letting me shop on my own, which is so rare that the deserts in California will be showered with snow.