Chapter 13

Within the hour, pretty much the entire compound knew I was a mother, and I was aware of this because everyone I passed in the hall gave me either a somewhat weird or sympathetic glance, and I didn't appreciate it. But, as long as my little Blair was okay, I was too.
   I decided to explore the building, hoping to find somewhere to lay low during my excruciatingly boring days here. The boots laced around my feet made almost no sound as I walked down the halls, eyes scanning each door labeled with a silver name plate. It scared most that I "snuck up" on them too often, but in reality, I was just walking.
   I found the door I was looking for, at least, I assumed they had a pool in this place. Why else would Elytra have ten different swimsuits? Pushing open the door, I was just in time to witness a girl Elytra's age in a black bikini cannonball off of a diving board into the crystal clear water below. I saw Elytra laughing from a hot tub connected to the main area as she was sprayed with water. The other girl rose from the deep, running a hand through her long, black hair.
   "Hey, Echo! Join us." El called as I shrugged my cover up off. I had found a red one piece in Elytra's closet she said I could have, and it was a little small, but I wasn't going to complain. The scars on my arms and legs weren't a prominent as they usually were, thanks to the fact my skin was so pale it was almost white. Man, I needed to tan. And if I was stuck here, I was going to enjoy it.
   I placed my cover up on a lounge chair and joined the girls in the hot tub. "Who's this?"
   "Echo, this is my girlfriend, Lilah. Lilah, this is Echo." Lilah smiled. She was shy, the opposite of Elytra. But, I could see how they fit together. Like puzzle pieces.
   "It's nice to meet you, Lilah."

   After relaxing with Elytra and Lilah, I left them to spend some time alone in my room. I trudged down the hall with a towel around my swimsuit, quickly opening the door and closing it behind me. I didn't notice the woman sitting on my bed until she said, "So, you met Elytra's girlfriend?"
I jumped, turning around to see Natasha sitting on my bed, holding a picture. "Yeah. They're polar opposites."
"Yes," She placed the photograph on the bedside table, "But Elytra deserves her, after everything she's been through."
I walked into the closet, stripping my wet clothes and changing into dry ones. Pulling the sweatshirt over my head, I came out holding the towel and swimsuit in one arm. After tossing them into the shower, I stepped over to the desk and sat in the chair. "What happened to her? I've seen the scars."
Natasha frowned. "That isn't my story to tell."
"Then why are you here?"
"We," The Avengers had been talking, or rather, arguing lately. This must be the verdict. "Have decided you will be allowed out of the compound once a month."
"What's the catch?" There was always a catch.
"You will wear a tracker, and you will have one of us with you at all times."
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was allowed out of this dreaded place. I muttered a "Thank you," slipped on my boots, and strolled out the door.
The sizzling of the bread in the skillet took up my attention as a rather stern voice spoke over the quiet bubbling. "Who are you?"
I turned around. A man with dark hair and grey-blue eyes that watched my every move stared at me from a seat at the bar across from the stove. I could see his right hand shake slightly under the table, his other was still. I couldn't see where the metal met skin under his tee, but I assumed it was at the shoulder. "The name's Echo. I've heard about you, soldier."
"I'm not a soldier." He mumbled as I flipped the grilled cheese onto a plate, setting it down across from him.
"Okay, soldier. What are you doing here?" I asked, biting into the sandwich.
"I was here before you, you just didn't see me."
"Who says I didn't know you were here?" I mused, finishing off one half of my dinner. We sat in silence while I ate, until he asked another question.
"Why were you so scared of Fury?"
"What?"
"That day, when the Avengers decided you could stay here, and you faced Fury, I was there. Behind the rage, I saw fear in you eyes. Why?"
I dropped my plate into the sink and walked over to him with lightning in my veins, leaking out into my hands. "You have no idea how much pain runs through these veins because of Nicholas Fury."

A/N: Hello readers! Thank you for waiting for so long for a chapter update, it really should have been sooner. I have been going through writers block lately and adding vacation onto that resulted in a chapter published about a month late. Also, I thought it was only fitting that Elytra was demisexual after all that she's been through, and it was about time Echo met Bucky. Any and all chapter suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading!