Chapter Fifty Three

Start from the beginning

"He writes that mother has almost completely recovered from my absence and only reads my letters once a day now." Her eyes twinkle with mirth and Hunter cannot take his eyes off her.

She has been there through all the grisly changing of bandages; she has even had to redo some of his stitches for him. Not once did she shy away or show revulsion. Her strength of character has only increased in his eyes. Each day has only made him grow fonder of her and he can only hope that it has done the same for her.

Despite his silence she continues without missing a beat. "Her Majesty, the Queen, and the Princess Arabella pardoned the rebels and they were all rescued from the noose. Their generosity and forgiveness astounds my brother but even more so that the Royal men allowed it. I doubt they shall be so forgiving if it happens again." Ari stops for a moment and Hunter senses she has gotten lost in her thoughts. His horse snorts again, if he cannot have a groom then he would at least appreciate the sound of talking.

Ari continues, brought back by his horse, "He is making remarkably little progress with the woman he still refuses to name but he has not given up hope yet. My other brother has visited and mother is fussing over him since he has not yet set any ground rules. Poor Alexander! Although he did stand aside watching me be pushed about so perhaps he deserves it. Lord Arnel has gotten engaged..."

"Who?" Hunter cannot help enquiring. Ari laughs and her eyes glitter with amusement.

"Oh just one of the men shoved my way before you." She answers with a shrug of her petite shoulders. "You will be delighted to know she is the opposite of me. It seems Lord Arnel did well." Hunter shakes his head at the idea that the opposite of Ari could be anything other than a disaster. "Despite nothing in my letters indicating an impending marriage Mother has been shopping and found an array of dresses for me to try, a baker to do our wedding cake and the orchestra to play the music... Quite simply she is starting to go out of control so I must write a letter telling her to halt immediately."

"Unless you wish to marry me?" Hunter lowly replies.

Ari flutters her eyelashes and inhales deeply. Her hands go to her waist. Hunter smirks knowing exactly the answer he has provoked. "I will write her a letter. That foolery cannot continue."

"Let her have her fun. It must be hard for her never knowing when you will give in." Hunter suggests. Ari looks away from him as her face breaks out in happiness.

"Lacy is almost ready to go and I have been ready for an hour. If you and Jasper hurry up then we may be able to start our travels." She ignores his last statement, eloquently changing the subject to one that causes less strife.

"We have been ready much longer than you." Hunter tells her straight. "However I thought you would like to know what Alice wrote to me first." He removes the folded letter from within his jacket and holds it out. When Ari reaches for it he pulls it back out of her reach. He tuts loudly and she raises her eyebrows challengingly at him. "Have you forgotten your manners Arisxandre? Your mother would not be impressed." He teases.

Ari takes a step closer to him and meets his gaze. She tugs her lower lip into her mouth. She blinks slowly and Hunter is transfixed. "Will you read it to me then?" She asks softly. She places her hand over his heart and his hand slowly lowers. Just as she is about to reach for it Lacy steps out of the cottage and clears her throat loudly.

"Let us not forget the chaperone!" She calls out to them with a wicked smile. "Step away from each other unless you wish to share some happy news."

Hunter again holds the letter out of reach and Ari huffs. She could have gotten hold of it if not for Lacy. She steps back and allows Hunter's horse to nuzzle her hands.

"Alice is once again Princess Arabella's companion. She is enjoying it. Xia is continuing to do well with her studies and will accomplish whatever she sets out to do. Jamie always asks Orion which one he is." At this Hunter laughs. "Khiara wishes me to write to Wolfe and tell him I am alive but I cannot do that yet. Time needs to pass, betrayals need to be forgotten." Ari does not argue for she has tried before but he is far too set in the thought of keeping his family safe, even from dangerous knowledge. "The girls miss you and beg that we visit them one day together when we are married."

"We could visit them before that if it would be safe." Ari suggests.

"Ross and Jacqueline have bought a new home and are hoping to set up their own business. I believe Jasper received a letter from his sister also." Hunter nods at Jasper as he walks out from around the back of the cottage leading his horse and Lacy's. "All is well at home and no one suspects a thing."

"Then we are safe for another day." Ari leaves to retrieve her horse and Jasper jogs over.

"How long do you think it is going to take?" He asks. There is no clarification needed. They both know exactly what is being referred to.

"She has resisted being engaged to be married for many years and she has grown quite good at it. She may love me but she is not willing to give up her freedom quite yet. I still have a lot of convincing to do. Months at least, although years would be more realistic." Hunter says with a chuckle, not discouraged with the idea at all. Jasper pats him on the back with a sympathetic groan.

"Only a lovesick fool could make that sound positive!" Jasper closes his eyes and mutters under his breath. "I would suggest you follow your brothers' examples but I fear that would be unwise. One kidnapped his wife; the other would not leave her alone from what I have heard and who knows what Orion intends to do! If Logan's love story had worked maybe you could have followed his pattern... However Ari would never keep such a huge secret as she did nor would you have to kidnap her. She comes along willingly." He says to Hunter.

"True. So as far as I am concerned I am already on the right path even if it takes time. We should set off, we have miles ahead of us." Hunter swings himself up onto his horse's back.

However at that moment Orion's father steps out from the cottage. Hunter nods his head at Jasper to join the two women as he rides over to him. Turrah waits until Hunter stops to speak. "I trust you are well enough to travel now." Hunter lifts up his shirt enough to see the large purple scar. "And you are not waiting for Orion to return from visiting home. Is there a message I should be passing along to him?"

Hunter regards Orion's father for a moment. He remembers Jacqui or Jasper making a passing comment once about how Khiara's taste in men did not differ. They could not have been more right. Turrah and the late Lord Usani share a great many features. Neither have the dark black hair of their sons; both received that from their mother. Instead they share dark brunet hair. Turrah's eyes are dark, reminiscent of Orion's. Lord Brock Usani's had been blue, the colour Hunter's go when he is content. But both men hold the strong jaw lines of their son's. Sons or fathers could be interchanged and no one would question it. Khiara clearly went for Turrah before she tried for Brock because of the likeness.

"Tell him that he is free of me. I do not want a babysitter."

Turrah laughs and strokes his dark brown beard. The laugh is identical to Orion's and could not be more different to Hunter's. He shares the one echoed by his Usani brothers. "Farewell Archer."

Hunter grins and turns his horse around. He rides over to his group and with a few short words they ride off.

Turrah fingers the letter from Khiara in his pocket. Her words resonate in his head. Hunter may or may not be your son. I have questioned it for many years and I still do not know. Protect him please, as if he is your own even though I cannot guarantee it, for I loved both you and Brock Usani. 

The End