Chapter Fifty Two

Comincia dall'inizio

"I am leaving tomorrow." Hunter finally speaks.

"As long as Lacy chaperones you, at all times, I see no reason why Ari cannot join you on your journey. However I will expect multiple letters detailing your days and exactly where you are going. I will be turning up to check on you when the mood suits me. I expect that is acceptable to you, Mr North?"

"It is." Hunter agrees.

"Do I have a say in this?" Ari interjects with a slight growl. Hunter rubs his thumb up and down on her waist and she squirms but keeps her glare firmly on her brother.

"You either court him or marry him. That is your say in this." Philippe tells her.

Her mother, who had stayed remarkably silent through this exchange suddenly lets out a theatrical sob. "I shall have to leave if Arisxandre is no longer here!"

"I would be leaving if I got married, mother, I see no difference." Ari argues. Philippe sends her a look very clearly telling her to shut her mouth.

"A good husband would remain here at court with you." Is her mother's quick reply. Philippe sighs and takes his mother's hand.

"No, mother, you shall not have to leave. I will stay for a little while. I met a young woman at the wedding that I would not mind getting to know better."

"And this woman reciprocates your interest?" Ari inquires with curiosity in a typical sisterly fashion.

"Not in the slightest." Philippe chuckles. "She told me my presence was unnecessary and social niceties were beyond her scope at that point in time and for the foreseeable future. In very nice, elegant, words she basically told me to leave her alone and try my luck with some other unfortunate soul. She has an attitude to match her fiery hair." He grins at the thought of her.

"That does sound like the perfect start to a courtship." Ari replies deadpan.

"It is perfect, I agree." He cheekily grins at her. "I have the chance to win over a beautiful and striking woman. But I also have the opportunity to help her. It was clear to see she is hurting, perhaps from lost love. It will be a challenge but I am more than willing to gain her trust and love. If you saw her, Ari, you would know why she has captured my heart so quickly. However..." He grimace slightly, "my fiery angel lives in a family of vipers so I promise I will be careful."

"She may be a viper herself." Ari softly adds with a wince, not wanting to ruin her brother's day so quickly. Their mother wisely steps back inside to give the siblings space. Hunter refuses to do so.

"There is a chance of that, yes. But not all vipers are deadly." Philippe reminds her. "Only time will tell." He looks at Hunter. "May I know the true name of the man wishing to eventually marry my sister?"

"Archer." Hunter says with a small annoyed smile. "It changed recently for safety." Philippe smiles and extends his hand. Hunter firmly shakes his hand and Philippe nods.

"If anything happens to my sister, if she is harmed in anyway or you do anything you should not then I will hunt you down. My brother will happily accompany me to make sure you pay the price."

"Philippe!" Ari exclaims but Hunter smiles at her and shakes his head.

"I promise to protect her and never let harm come to her." He says to Philippe. To Ari he says, "If you wish to come with us tomorrow someone will come for you."

"No one could keep me away. You should go now; you are endangering yourself the longer you are here." She embraces him, careful to not give him further pain. He kisses the top of her head and mumbles that he will see her soon.

"I will walk you home for my sister's peace of mind." Philippe suggests as he gestures with his hand for Archer to lead the way.

○ ○ ○

Philippe returns half an hour later alone, having delivered Archer safely through the gates in the Castle's wall. Ari immediately rises to her feet at his entrance, her companion Lacy once again accompanying her. "Relax Ari, tomorrow will come soon enough." Philippe teases her.

"What did you say to him? You do not expect me to believe you were walking him out of here just out of the goodness of your heart. You wanted to discuss something with him or threaten him. Tell me what you said."

"Nothing that is your concern and you heard my threat. I did it right in front of you." Philippe sighs and cheekily smiles at Lacy. "If the man was not already clearly injured I would have given an idea of the punishment but alas that would be cruelty and I do rather like the idea of a warrior in our family."

"He would have hurt you so it is a good job that you did not provoke him." Ari states without hesitation. Philippe laughs and gives her a quick hug. A smile unwillingly jumps to her mouth.

"He would not have though!" Philippe argues. "He would recognise and respect my right to do so to protect my sister." Phillippe looks around the room and asks, "Where is mother?"

"She has retired to her room. Today's events have been far too much excitement for her. We must discuss what she is to know and not know. His identity must remain a secret but she cannot continue to think of him as Orion."

"I will fix it, little sister, all you need to think about is packing and whether you are making the right choice." Philippe suggests.

"Will you tell me the name of your viper?" Ari changes the subject.

Philippe grins and shakes his head.

"She is not your concern and I shall introduce you when she is my bride. Now go!" He orders. Ari and Lacy retire to their rooms to pack.

Philippe slips down into a chair and gazes out of the window.

"You will not tell your sister but surely you will tell me the name of the girl. I could invite her to tea and set up situations where you can meet." His mother calls out to him from the doorway of her room. Philippe coughs to hide the knowing laugh. It comes as no surprise that his mother was eavesdropping

"She is a Ricell. Lady Zara Ricell." He runs a hand through his hair with a satisfied grin on his face. "But hopefully not for much longer." He stands and goes across to his mother. "I promise you that when I allow you to meet her you will adore her. But until then I need your word that you shall leave everything to me. No interference. No eavesdropping. Do not invite her to tea; do not accidentally bump into her. I have a plan. Trust me on this."

His mother inspects her son's determinedly set face and the glint in his eyes.

"I promise."

He claps his hands together and offers his arm. "Come, I have been inside too long. Do me the honour of going for a walk with me?" His eyes twinkle above his winning smile.

"I doubt this girl will last long with your charm." His mother comments.

"I will need far more than charm, mother." He softly says under his breath but his smile stays fastened to his lips as he escorts his mother from their rooms.

One chapter to go! Ari is definetly going with him and you finally meet the Lord mentioned in Zara's letter to Logan. How are feeling about the fast approaching end?

If you would like to read another story of mine between now and next chapter, I have just posted up a short story called 'The Pushover' I'd love to know what you think.