Epilogue

It's been five years since that frightful night, five years since the night that could've changed my life for the worse. I'm 29 years old; I'm the same Laura that traveled back in time back then. But somehow, I'm not the same Laura either. I'm lucky to have been given a second chance, before I even knew I needed one. Precious things that have happened in the past five years wouldn't have happened, if my future self hadn't changed the course of events. She told me back then that everyone would soon forget about her. They did... except for me, I didn't forget her. I swore to myself to always remember the person who made me view life from a different perspective, even if it technically was myself.
A few weeks after that event, I moved back to Germany. I decided it would be best to stay close to my family. Also, Martin and I wanted to move in together and he couldn't leave his family alone either, especially with his grandmother not feeling well. She died two months later, but she was happy to have her children and grandchildren around.
Aurélie and Pierre broke up two years ago. I had always thought they were the perfect couple, but apparently they weren't getting along well anymore in the last months of their relationship. I remembered about my future self telling me about Aurélie and Pierre being married. Looks like the future is never settled! We have to take it into our own hands and shape it the way we want it to be. In the end, it's our decisions that count.
Last year, Martin and I got married and I thought this would be the happiest day of my entire life. I was wrong. We were even happier when we found out we're going to have a baby. I'm very lucky to be able to lead a life like this. All this wouldn't be possible, if Martin had died five years ago. I don't even want to imagine what it would've been like because I've learned to cherish all the good I've got. Of course, there have been a few issues at work among others, but these were things that our family could handle... together!
My family is doing great. Mom and Dad have recovered from the huge shock back then. David is fine, too. He promised to never keep things like this secret from any of us. He had been foolish, but he's learned from his mistakes. He recently graduated from University and is soon starting out at his new job. As for my sister Emily, she still lives in London, leading her carefree life. I don't envy her; I'm happy that she's doing well. She's going to visit us here next week. We're all going to attend my cousin Leon's wedding and I'm really excited about it. I'm looking forward to seeing him and his sister Sarah again. It's been so long since we last met.
I'm grateful for having such a loving family and friends; I will never take them for granted. I'll appreciate the time I get to spend with them because time is precious and I don't want to waste it. I won't spend too much time dwelling on the past or worrying about what might happen in the future, but I'm trying to live in the here and now.