"Yea, growin' up too fast."

"Oh, heavens- I've been waiting for this day for ages! You can finally start training with me!"

"Training?" Belle asked, though her grandmother didn't seem to hear her.

"Oh, Nancy, leave the girl alone; she just turned thirteen!" Her grandfather scoffed. "You didn't start training until you were fifteen."

"Well, I want Belle to be a nice lady."

"Lady?" Belle asked again.

"Yes, Brielle, no more games for you. You're not a child anymore."

"But-"

"Hush! Now, follow me, I have my birthday gift for you!"

Nancy led her to the sitting room, where a dark oak box was put in the middle of the dark oak table, almost blending in completely. She had Brielle sit before she presented the box. Her father and grandfather watched from the corner of the room.

"Well, go on, open it!" Nancy gushed, crossing her hands in her lap. Belle wasted no time carefully lifting the delicate lid off the box and removing the safety cover. Inside was a tiny jar, no bigger than a thimble, with a red rose floating in the middle of the jar. Belle softly grasped the small jar like container, looking up to her grandmother.

 Belle softly grasped the small jar like container, looking up to her grandmother

"Nana, it's beautiful, but what is it?"

"That, my dear, is a sign of woman hood. Normally the mother is supposed to present the gift to her daughter, but-" She cut herself off as she looked to the floor. She missed her daughter as much as Belle missed her mother.

"Woman hood? How Nana?"

"When a girl reaches the age to have her true love, the necklace shall be given to them. This little jar is a symbol of true love, and when you share true loves' kiss, my dear, it will open."

"That's awfully cheesy, Nana. And did you and dad collaborate or something?"

"Hush, girl, it's a milestone in our family."

"...Did it open for Mum?" She asked, her voice small as she looked up to her Nana.

"Yes." Her grandmother looked towards Belle's father, who smiled sadly, tears crisping to his eyes. "It most definitely did."

"What if it never opens for me?"

"It will, love. Have some hope, will you?"

"Yes, Nana."

"Good, now I've prepared a lunch! I hope you all are hungry!"

Belle proudly wore her jar and locket on the same chain around her neck all evening. She was a woman now, at least in the eyes of her Nana. She had to start acting mature, she couldn't be a child anymore. No more playing in the rain and jumping from rug to rug to avoid the cold floor. She now had to always sit with legs crossed and be polite at the dinner table. Good posture and correct grammar. Poised, proper, and polite. 

Chewing on her cheek, she escaped the toasty kitchen where everyone was talking, meaning her grandparents, her father and Maurice. He'd arrived two hours late, but made up with it with a special plant pot that extends all plant life. Her feet led her to the middle ground of the four Manors that shared this land. She didn't know which pureblooded families owned the surrounding Manors, as she had never interacted with the other children- well, child. It was one boy who was always around, always outside playing or skipping rocks.  He never seemed to have a friend, and that in turn made Belle feel sorry for him. She hadn't seen him in a good six or seven years now, but she wondered if he ever found a good friend.

Her hands ran themselves over a rose bush full of wilting roses, making her frown. Did no-one take care of these things? It was sad to see something with so much potential fade away without notice by others.

"Belle?"

Her head whipped around so fast she was sure she got whiplash. There stood in front of her James Potter, confused to see her. "How-Why are you here?"

"My Nana lives here...I'm here for a dinner party. Why are you here?"

"I live down the road." He pointed towards the forest, where a distinct path led deep into the greenery. His hand went to the back of his neck awkwardly.

James had changed, to say the least. It was more of a drastic change than last year, as his face seemed to thin out and he got much more lankier, though he still looked like a Quidditch player. His hair had gotten considerably messier, now looking as if he hand't brushed it in days, maybe he hadn't, but it still suited him.

"Erm— Have you heard from Evans?"

Belle's face morphed. "Yea, of course, why?"

"She hasn't once responded to me. I though she went on holiday or something but..." He shrugged, looking much more crestfallen now than before.

"Oh, James, I'm sorry. She'll come around someday." Belle said, trying to lift his spirits, but he seemed pretty set on feeling down right now. Before Belle could say anything else she heard her father calling to her inside. James looked towards the patio door before turning back to Belle.

"It was—uh—nice to see you, Belle. Catch you at school, I guess."

"James—"

He bolted off, walking quickly as to avoid another disappointing conversation. He didn't seem like the annoying Potter boy from las year, he seemed much more mature and Belle could only hope that was the same for Sirius Black. Something in the back of her mind told her she would very mistaken. After hearing her father call another time, she glanced out once more at the forest where James now disappeared behind and with a sigh, retired back to the warmth and chattering from inside.

A/N: I've had writers block so I'm sorry if the chapter wasn't really good, I haven't got a lot planned for third year. I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Fourth year and on should be a lot better.   :)

-Hannah