Chapter 1

And here I'm in front of the mirror just looking at myself, I haven't seen my friends in almost a year. We spoke on the phone and lightly saw each other on the weekend but the government wanted everyone safe. And with my dad working for the government the rules were extra strict in the house, even to the point that my parents weren’t going to let me go to school this year. I can understand their concern but I’m old enough to know right from wrong and I won’t get involved with a BioSwap.

But I can’t help wondering how it would be if I had one of the many abilities BioSwaps have. I wonder if my fiery red orange hair would look any different, or even the small freckles that outline the bridge of my nose. Would my skin still be pale white? I bring my hands up to my face and start to squeeze my cheek making my pink lips out like a fish. Maybe I would look even better than my normal self…

“Adara, are you ready?” My mother ask from the other side of my door. The handle rattles as she tries to open it, “why is your door locked?”

Putting my hands down I grab my backpack and open the door, “I was getting dressed.” I tell her as I walk past her down the wooden stairs.

Our house isn’t huge but it is bigger than those around the neighbourhood. Again, only because my dad works for the government is the only reason why we have this house. My mother has decorated everything in golds and browns, she enjoys putting things together. I walk in the stainless steel appliance kitchen and grab an apple from the counter. I don’t like complication which is why I don't bother to mess with the automated fridge we have. You have to press all these button to get to the category you want then speak what you want and just like that it’s made for you. But no way does the food taste like homemade cooking. Something my mother use to do before we got that stupid thing.

“You should eat something.” My mom tells me as she leans on the counter, her hips lightly touching the corner.

She is dressed in a royal fitted knee length dress, her blonde hair has recently been cut into a bob and her makeup is perfection. She tried to get me to color and cut my hair but I like that I don’t look normal so I politely declined her offer.

I point to the fridge, “I am not messing with that thing, I hate it.”

She shakes her head softly then made her way towards me, once in front of me she placed both hands on my shoulder, “Adara, are you sure you want to go to school?”

Here we go with this thing again, “mom, we spoke about this already with dad. If I spot or notice a BioSwap I go straight to the principal office with no hesitation.” I don’t know how many times I have to repeat this to my parents.

My mom bites her lower lip and nods her head, “good girl.”

I don't tell her that deep down I want to meet a BioSwap and actually watch their ability on display. I don’t tell her that I don’t blame them for breaking out of The Meds building because they don’t belong there. I don't tell her anything because although I love my mother, I don't doubt for one second that she would tell my dad and I would be sent to The Quaren. So I just smile up at her and get ready to leave.

Belmair High School isn’t too far from my house so when my mom’s offer to drive me to school I decline. I enjoy the breeze against my face, the fresh smell of the air, and the chirps of the few birds still roaming the skies.  

With my backpack strap tightly held in my hands I start to walk and immediately I see guards everywhere. They are dressed in black long cargo pants, black long sleeve shirts, with black shiny helmets and long black combat boots. In their hands they are holding guns, it's not aimed at anybody but their fingers are on the trigger ready for anything at any moment. I'll admit it's a bit scary walking down the street with armed people but it's to make everyone safe.  I can't help but be scared of them more than the BioSwaps. Putting my head down I speed walk past the few guards that I see, I just want to get to school.