September 7th, 1923 Chicago, Illinois

Jack opened the door of the Sunnyside Cafe and slipped inside. He walked around the back near the bar, hoping to surprise Evelyn. He saw her standing at the counter fixing a cocktail and decided to walk over.

"Hey, sweetheart," he said, sliding into a counter seat.

"Jack!" she said with a smile.

"I was out in the town anyway, I thought I would stop by and surprise you," Jack said, reaching out and taking her hand.

"Why is your hand so warm?" Jack asked Evelyn.

"I'm not sure. I've actually been cold all day," Evelyn said.

Jack reached out his hand and touched her forehead, his heart dropping slightly.

"Come on, I'm taking you to the doctor," he said hastily.

"But I'm working, I can't just leave," she responded.

"I'll take care of it later," Jack said, taking her hand and leading her out the door and down the street towards the doctor's office.

"Evelyn Chase," the nurse called out.

Evelyn and Jack both looked up at her name being called.

"Doctor Taylor will see you now."

Evelyn got up and walked back with the nurse, Jack following quickly behind. The nurse told Jack to wait outside the door, which he wasn't very happy about, but respected it because it was Evelyn the doctor was seeing.

After about 10 minutes the doctor stepped out of the room.

"Mr. Chase?" The doctor asked.

"Mr. Delancey actually," Jack replied.

"Oh, terribly sorry sir. Well, Miss Chase has a very high fever. The cut on her arm from last month has become horribly infected. We'll have to keep her here overnight to see how she will fair," the doctor informed him.

"Overnight? Can I stay here with her?" Jack asked.

"If you'd like," the doctor responded, disappearing back into the examining room.

Minutes turned to hours as Jack sat outside the doctor's room, anxiously awaiting for updates on Evelyn.

It was 2 AM when the doctor burst out of the door, running to the nurse. Jack heard bits and pieces of what the doctor was saying.

"Miss Chase...stable...shock...help..."

Jack jumped up as the doctor came back.

"Is she alright?!?" Jack asked worriedly.

"We're not sure yet, Mr. Delancey," the doctor answered, going back into the room.

Jack beat on the door, trying but failing to get answers.

"Is she okay?!?" Jack almost yelled.

Only shuffling in the examining room and some muffled curses were in response.

Jack sat down and tried to focus on something else. Maybe she just needed more medicine. Maybe they were trying to run tests. She will be fine.

The doctor walked out of the room and sat by Jack. The time on the clock read 3:15 AM.

"What is it? Is she okay?" Jack frantically asked the doctor.

"Mr. Delancey, I'm very sorry to inform you but... Miss Chase is dead. The infection was too severe and she went into shock. There was nothing we could do."

Jack felt as if the world had fallen on his shoulders and he was too weak to hold it up. He stormed outside, wishing for fresh air and unable to look upon the face of the doctor who had failed to save the love of his life.

Jack lit a cigar and stuck it in his mouth, hoping it would calm him down.

But not even the strongest of cigars could ease the pain he felt that night.