00; new beginnings

✵✵✵

✵✵✵

Change.
Change was neither good or bad, but it was something that terrified most people, including the likes of Morgana Rostova and her family. Change wasn't necessarily a positive thing that came to mind whenever the idea or conversation lead in that direction, it was usually something that would be best to leave unspoken before it achieved panic and fear. Unfortunately, the family knew that change was inevitable in their case and that it would usually lead to relief in the after math. But that didn't mean that change didn't come at a price for the Rostova family.

However, Morgana Rostova knew that deep down no matter how inevitable change was it was nor good or bad, as it usually depended on the consequences and the whether or not you were strong and brave enough to experience the change and go through it all. She knew that despite all the bad experiences she's had with change she couldn't possibly have the right to simply say that 'change is bad and too simply avoid when possible', because all the hard times and memories in her life made her apprehend that she couldn't let those times effect her personality and to change her into a bad person. Because Morgana Rostova simply knew that life was impossible without change, and those who can't change their minds and can't change anything.

And honestly all Morgana wanted to do was make a change in the world and create a positive impact.

That was her daily goal: to wake up, get ready and go to school and easily learn something that would help her in her goal to make a positive change. However, it wasn't as simple as that.

Morgana was different. She wasn't like the other kids in the class, nor was she like any other adult or human being. Growing up, she didn't know whether that was good or bad, she didn't want to be different, she just wanted to be normal like all her other friends, which was difficult knowing that she was the only one with something inhuman about them. Morgana never truly felt like she belonged, she'd always desperately wanted a change in her life; she wanted to wake up and enjoy the sunshine beaming in through the thin satin curtains and to breathe in the morning breeze as she opened the window and stuck her head out, but the tragedy was she couldn't without the fear or the risk of her exposing her secret.

Her secret of having 'special powers' as her dad would put it.

She never really understood the concept of having powers or having to keep the secret hidden growing up, she always believed that having powers meant that she was superior to everyone and that it meant that she was untouchable that it didn't really matter if anyone knew if she had powers for no one could beat her. Morgana thought that having powers meant that she could embrace her true self without anyone judging her or giving her glares. However, deep down inside somewhere she knew that it could never be that simple that having powers weren't to be taken lightly, for she didn't even know how she got them let alone the reason why she does have powers.

Growing up Morgana wondered the meaning behind her powers; the reason why she could be special enough to have them. The young Rostova girl expressed the concern to her father and yet was quickly shot down with a simple response: "don't ever think your not special enough". Yet she knew that there was clearly more then that what met the eye, she knew the answer was probably some weird complicated explanation and that she would never find out or work out, she figured that the moment she watched a science documentary in her class in middle school and soon found a passion for finding a scientific explanation to having her powers.

Morgana believed that if she discovered why she got them, she would learn how to control her powers, since she didn't really know how to control them quite yet. Over the years, she'd been closer to finding out how to control them and what exactly her powers were, however she had no success, since she really couldn't do anything when she was supposed to keep her secret hidden.

The fifteen year old had proven how difficult it was for her to get help without exposing herself to the rest of the world, which occurred one day when she was in the science lab at her school experimenting with the chemicals after she came up with a theory. Remarkably focused on her work, she didn't notice her classmate wandering in the lab after school only to discover Morgana using her hands to control the air around the test tubes. The spooked, speechless schoolgirl stepped back in fear, only to stumble over stool, alerting the Rostova girl. Fear-stricken, Morgana turned around with wide-eyes hiding the test tubes with her back; she tried to carefully approach the girl without alarming her, however that failed since the girl screamed, panicking the other girl leaving her with no choice but to use her powers to knock her out.

Soon enough, the girl realised what she had done and started pacing around thinking of an explanation to the situation and coming up with nothing until she turned around to face the window for fresh air but instead saw the chemicals and the test tubes on the table before her and came up with an idea. She knew that this idea would come with a consequence but she knew what she had in mind would cause less trouble then if she didn't do anything at all.

✵✵✵

Every choice had a consequence. That was a fact someone like her always knew. She knew that if she didn't do anything that day she would be in handcuffs and dragged away probably being someone's lab rat in an experiment, and who could blame her for protecting herself, anyone would've done it if they were in her position. However, that never stopped Morgana from feeling a little guilty about how she handled things that day.

She was interrupted from her thinking when the door opened, revealing a tall man with warm, yet cold eyes that seemed to have a sadness to them. Morgan let out a small smile, as her father approached to where she was sitting on her bed gazing out the window. It was just an ordinary morning in New York with the sunshine beaming in through windows, however it felt different to Morgana and Alex.

"How are you feeling?", he looked across at her with a knowing look, waiting for an answer as she scoffed and gave him a look.

"Seriously! How do you think I'm feeling, dad. I'm about to attend a brand new school with people I don't even know and I feel like I'm about to explode," she raised her voice at him and gave him a melancholy smile before calming down and saying, "and I, also, keep wondering if ... she would've been proud of me and choices I've made."

He gave her a sorrow look, before wrapping an arm around her. "I love you Morgana, your my oldest daughter and if you hadn't knocked that girl out, spilled the chemicals everywhere and started a fire then a lot worse then being expelled from the school would've happened to you," a big grin appeared on his face, "besides she would have been so proud of you, anyone would."

"As much as I would love for you to stay and chat, you have school and I have made breakfast - oh and also before I forget you need to pick up Maryam after school," he rushed out, placing a kiss on her forehead, and leaving as she picked up a pillow and threw it at him.

✵✵✵

Morgana had been through this many times before when she was younger, however that never meant she would feel any better about it. The younger girl never got used to the feeling of being new, no matter how many times she'd transfer school. Running late, her father dropped her off at school, before leaving to sort out some 'business'. She walked up to entrance and before entering she glanced around the building, her eyes studying every detail and after while, feeling satisfied she was ready to enter what felt like a new beginning in her eventful life – her first day at Midtown high.