Fourteen

Cody's POV- June 2017

Not only was I about to be meet Maddy's stepfather, I was also about to meet her father...No pressure at all. I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. The door opened a minute later to reveal Maddy holding her kitten, Poppy.

"Hi! Come on in"

She stepped back as I walked in. Once the door was closed, she set Poppy on the floor and looked up at me.

"How was your flight?"

"Long" I replied.

She smiled and looked at the bouquet of roses I was holding.

"These are for you" I told her.

"Thank you"

I handed them to her and smiled like a dork after she gave me a quick kiss. Sadly our intimate moment was ruined by a throat clearing. Maia offered us a smile before she made her way over.

"Hello Cody, I hope you came with an empty stomach"

She gave me a hug and squeezed my bicep once she had pulled away.

"Awww, you brought her flowers"

Maddy nodded.

"Just set them on the kitchen counter, I'll put them in a vase in a minute"

She smiled.

"Go on to the backyard. I'll be there in a minute"

I nodded and followed Maddy into the kitchen. She placed the bouquet on the kitchen counter before looking at me.

"There is no need to be nervous"

"Is it that noticeable?" I asked.

"Yes, you're fidgeting"

She took my hands and smiled.

"You've got nothing to worry about, they're big softies"

I doubt that, her dad was a physician where as her stepdad was a detective. They could literally kill me and commit the perfect murder. My body would probably never be found...Ok so maybe I was overthinking this.

"Come on"

She led me out of the backyard and cleared her throat getting the attention of two guys. They laughed and turned to look at us.

"Ahh, I see the famous Cody has arrived"

The guy with dark hair looked away from me as a dog barked. I was going to assume he was Maddy's dad because the guy with brown hair looked more like Noah and Nate.

"Rocky"

The dog quiet down and I watched as both men stood up.

"Madeline, introduce us to the young man you're getting to know"

They were both over 6'0, and could technically pass off as male models.

"Cody my father figures. My dad Mateo, and my stepdad Michael"

I nodded and shook her dad's hand first. Maddy was the perfect combination of him and Maia.

"It's nice to meet you sir" I said.

Her dad laughed as he pulled me into a hug.

"How about you, Mike and I go for a walk"

I turned to look at Maddy with wide eyes who gave me an apologetic smile.

"We'll be back in a bit"

She mouthed 'sorry' as I began to follow Mateo out. Once we were out of the property, he turned to me and chuckled.