Chapter 6

Ronan Thompson was the first to spot Doctor Benjamin Calhoun as he entered the church. The old man's cheeks were rosy. Eyes almost bloodshot. He took a pew near the back and folded his arms across his chest. An aroma of alcohol radiated from him.

Then every other child in the church swung their heads to look at the old man. The action was so unprecedented that even adults turned back to see. The organ faltered. Someone gasped. The light filtering through the stained windows seemed to dim. Calhoun's flushed face slowly turned crimson but he kept his eyes forward, facing a similarly distraught Father Marcus.

-

Grace Atkinson gasped. Danny had suddenly pivoted in his seat along with every other child in the church. She felt the cold grip of panic seize her heart and for a moment she locked eyes with Father Marcus before his attention moved to whoever had entered. She didn't want to know who it was. She didn't want to see. If she didn't know she could deal with everything better. She wouldn't let the devil know she knew.

-

Ronan rose from his seat, golden locks waving as he stood.

"Sit down!" His father, Gregory Thompson, hissed through clenched teeth. The congregation were turning to him now though the children still faced the old doctor, Calhoun.

"And do not get drunk with wine for that is debauchery. But be filled with the Spirit!" Ronan shrieked. His index finger shook as it pointed at the old man. Calhoun's brow furrowed.

Daniel Atkinson climbed onto the bench,

"Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God!" His finger lifted too.

An altar girl rose from her seat near Father Marcus,

"Drink no wine or strong drink, you or your sons with you, when you go into the tent of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations."

More kids rose. Fingers pointed. Scripture recited. Voices raised in unison until none could establish who was saying what. Calhoun shook as he rose, stumbling over his feet. Warmth crept along his forehead and squeezed his lungs. Trembling he rushed to the doors and ran out.

-

A moment later the kids all shuddered in unison, sat back down in their respective seats and gazed towards Father Marcus with excited expectation. 

Father Marcus let his eyes fall on each and every child and raised the bible. The fear sweeping through his trembling arms was not missed by the congregation, yet they knew that things must proceed. A bead of sweat trickled down the left side of his face. With a resolute voice that surprised even him, Father Marcus spoke loud and clear,

"Let us proclaim the mysteries of faith."