Chapter 1- Three Days

Start from the beginning

-----

"Vale? Vale! VALE!"

I jolted awake to my name being shouted.

I looked around me to see empty chairs and no teacher, I must have either fallen asleep or zoned out pretty bad. In front of me there was a boy with slicked back blonde hair staring down at me.

"Wake up! It's therapy time," he spoke with gleeful sarcasm as he left the room.

'What an asshole' I thought. Oh well, at least he woke me up.

I looked up at the clock to see I was 10 minutes late for my ride with my mother.

Shit

I quickly ran through the near empty halls, somehow not bumping into the guy from earlier (I think his name was reece, rhys? Something along those lines) and spotted my mothers car as soon as I got outside.

I hated making her panicked. The last time I was late home from school it was because I had collapsed in the guidance councillors office.

I opened the car door and immediately began to apologise.

"Mom I'm so so sorry I completely lost track of time and -

"Honey don't worry about it, you're only a couple of minutes late. Just try and text me about it next time, alright?" Well that was surprisingly calm. I'm not gonna knock it.

I nodded and agreed to do so, apologising once again.

The car ride went by in a second and I was finally at Clearwater institution.

I smiled at my mom, thanking her for driving me and I walked inside the white doors.

It was your stereotypical mental hospital. White everywhere, except for the truly inspirational "don't kill yourself!" Posters. I'm sure those really did a lot of good.

I walked down into room B14 , and braced myself for another joyous round of group therapy.

I slowly opened the door and walked it. "Sorry," I said, acknowledging the fact I was late.

I looked for a chair to take, luckily it wasn't next to the guy I saw earlier, but it was directly opposite him.

"That's quite alright vale, please take a seat" Dr. Anderson replied. I sat down and stared at the floor as her continued whatever he was saying.

"We were just discussing productive things to do instead of hurting ourselves" he said matter of factly. I nearly laughed at this. I began to smirk.

"What is it, vale?" He said with an annoyed tone, knowing how insensitive I was to these things.

"It's just- if Someone wants to hurt themselves, why stop them? Why offer an alternative? Just let them get on with it if that's what they want to do," I reasoned.

"What a beautiful way of putting it. Slit your wrists if you're gonna! Thoughts , doc?" The boy from earlier asked leading back on his chair, backing me up.

"Well ,Rhys, Vale, I think that that is an awful way of reasoning with yourself. Hurting yourself is an abnormal thing to do and should not be used to cope with thoughts or feelings that could otherwise be talked about in a more positive manner," he explained.

Rhys dramatically yawned and I grinned at his mutual lack of enthusiasm.

"Come on , doesn't anyone have any ideas on how to distract from self injury?" Dr Anderson prompted.

There was a brief silence in the room before Melissa ,the most timid girl I have ever met, shyly raised her said and said "maybe you could read a book?"