Chapter 3: Accident

The next morning Gracie leaped out of bed. She immediately began to change into her day clothes. As she was putting a cute floral blouse on when her phone began to ring from her nightstand. Gracie struggled to get the rest of her shirt on herself as she raced for her phone. She picked it up and Peter's name flashed across the screen. Gracie beamed and flipped it open and held it to her ear as she began to look through her closet for shoes.

"Hello there." Gracie began.

Peters voice responded, "Hello! Did I wake you this time?"

Gracie chuckled as she pulled out a pair of white converse from her closet.

"No. Today I woke up bright and early! Early as in five minutes ago."

Peter laughed from the other side and then spoke, "Well I'll meet you at the museum, right?"

"Yep, of course." Gracie responded.

Peter said goodbye and he hung up. Gracie slipped her phone into her pocket and left her bedroom. As she walked down the stairs she heard her dad exit from his bedroom. She stopped on the stairs and spun around and was facing her father.

"Hey dad," She began, "Can I borrow the car for today?"

Her father stood there and gave her a skeptical look. He crossed his arms.

"What for?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You know," Gracie said, "I'm meeting Peter at the museum."

"Hmm..." Her father walked down the stairs past Gracie. Gracie followed after him.

"Come on, I'm only going to the museum and back." Gracie begged as she placed a hand on her dads shoulder.

He let out a long sigh and faced his daughter. After a long silence her father finally answered.

"Okay fine." He said.

"Yay!" Gracie exclaimed as she gave her dad a hug.

"But if there is one scratch on it, you'll be grounded." Her father said sternly.

Gracie chuckled and nodded, "Don't worry, she'll return perfectly."

She gave her dad one last hug and said goodbye before she disappeared out the door with the car keys. Gracie ran into the driveway and hopped into their small red car. She was in such a hurry she didn't even bother to put her seatbelt on. She turned on the car and sped out of the driveway.

As Gracie drove down the road she couldn't stop thinking about what her and Peter would do. After a few short minutes of driving she took a left and could see the museum in the distance and Peter waiting for her by the door.

As Gracie approached an intersection the light suddenly turned red. Gracie slowed down to a stop. She rolled down her window and took a breath of the fresh air. Suddenly she heard Peter screaming at her from the other side of the road. Gracie turned and looked over at Peter.

"Move!!" He yelled, "Watch out!!!"

Gracie raised an eyebrow at him. Peter had fear all over his face. He suddenly pointed behind Gracie's car. Gracie looked over and saw a large truck speeding towards her car. Gracie gasped and struggled to open the cars old door. Finally she was able to get the door open but it was too late. Gracie didn't have time to get out of the car and the truck made contact and slammed with great force into her small car. The force was so strong it sent Gracie flying through the front window of the car. As Gracie flew through the window of her car her body slammed into another passing car. She tumbled to the road and everything fell black.

Peter had witness the whole thing and watched in horror as his cousin flew through the car window. He immediately ran over to her unconscious body on the road. Every car had stopped and watched to scene many people had gotten out of their cars and were calling the police on their phones.

Peter bent down to Gracie's side. Tears in his eyes. He lifted Gracie's head up. Glass stuck in her cheeks and her arms. Blood covered her face, arms and body.

"Gracie..." Peter cried. "Come on, your okay. Come on. Please be okay."

A few minutes later a paramedic team and the police showed up. The EMTs rushed over to Gracie with a stretcher, they kindly asked Peter to leave. It crushed him to do but he knew he had too.

Peter watched from the side of the road as the ambulance sped off taking Gracie with it. Peter wiped the tears from his face. He then ran off into an alley between buildings and climbed the walls to the roof. Peter stood at the edge of the roof and jumped. We shot his webs and swung from building to building until he reached Gracie's home. Tears in his eyes the entire way. He landed on top of the roof and jumped down and landed on the front porch. He took a deep breath and slowly turned the doorknob and entered the house.

The second he entered the home Mr. Edgar raced from the kitchen.

"Gracie how'd it-" he stopped when he realized it wasn't Gracie at all.

"Peter?" Mr. Edgar began, "What are you doing here? Where's Grace?"

A tear ran down Peter's face. He quickly wiped it off and sniffled.

"Peter? Where is she?" Mr. Edgar asked again, worry rose in his voice.

"Um." Peter began, his voice croaky from crying. "Well, when she was driving there..." Peter took a very shaky breath, "A truck came speeding towards her...and..."

Peter looked over at Mr. Edgar who's face was stricken with worry. Peter could tell he knew the rest of the story.

"I-is she okay?" Mr. Edgar asked.

Peter shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know..."

Mr. Edgar covered his mouth with his hand, tears now in his eyes also. Peter slowly approached him and gave him a hug.

"I'm so sorry..."