Chapter 23 - May & June

Começar do início

"And speaking of which," Hermione said quietly as she leaned forward. "I really don't know what to get her for a present. I can't even believe she's married! She's only sixteen! And I definitely can't believe she invited me to her party."

"It's a delayed wedding reception," Neville corrected. "And neither do I."

"Not as many people dislike you as you think," Harry said wryly. "You're a good person, Hermione, and Lavender knows that."

Hermione blushed slightly and waved her hands about in agitation. "But why would she invite me?" she asked quietly. "I'm always going on about her not spending enough time on her studies and how foolish it is to spend all that effort on makeup and such."

"And then you spent two hours repairing all my makeup when all the powders got cracked and mixed when my trunk was dropped last Christmas," Lavender said, proving she had been paying attention all along.

Hermione blushed brighter and said in protest, "The house-elves fixed it."

Parvati giggled and Lavender smiled and patted Hermione's arm. "The house-elves are excellent at cooking and cleaning, but the fine control needed to separate out over two dozen different colors of powder is beyond their abilities. I've always known it was you who fixed my makeup for me."

Hermione's face went beet-red and she quickly picked up her bag and stood. "I have to get to class," she said hurriedly and fled the scene.

There were quite a number of surrounding Gryffindors who joined in the general mirth of Hermione's escape.

"Who knew?" Ginny said with a grin. "Hermione can handle being thought of as a bossy know-it-all but Merlin forbid anyone accuse her of being nice."

Harry laughed along with the others. He would track down his friend later and give her gift ideas. He'd seen a small section on books when he'd looked through the deLuska jewelry catalog for his own delayed wedding gift for Lavender. Undoubtedly one of those would be suitable as a present.

--May 24--

"The Dark Lord is pleased with the way Potter's courtships are progressing and has no plans to provide any type of disruption this year," Severus reported. "He is hoping one of the Death Eaters, or at least someone he can influence, wins the brat's favor and that he'll be able to bring the boy to the dark."

"Are there many Death Eaters left in the courtships?" Arthur asked worriedly.

"There are four," Severus answered. "Martin Goyle, Halifax Nott, Matthew Gibbon, and Ares Selwynn."

"Do you think Potter will choose one of them?" Kingsley asked with a frown.

"Of course he won't!" Molly protested loudly. "He's a good boy! How dare you suggest it!"

"At least Malfoy isn't one of them," said Charlie. He wondered why four Death Eaters passed when he didn't. Harry didn't want a mate who would be involved in the coming war and wouldn't those Death Eaters fight for their master? There must be something going on there – he would have to mention it later. Maybe those men were unhappy and would make good spies.

"Malfoy was eliminated in April," Alastor grunted. "He was none too pleased going by his expression as he stormed out of The Rose Inn."

"Indeed. The Dark Lord was none too pleased, either," Severus said with a vindictive smirk. "But to answer Shacklebolt, I believe the remaining four have as much chance as any of the remaining suitors. The Dark Lord is pleased that so many have passed through the dates."

"Even after what happened three weeks ago?" Marcus asked in disbelief.

"And just what do you think happened three weeks ago?" Alastor asked then shook his head. "You think the lad had sex with his classmates?"