The Earl of Brass by @writershabitarium

Description It was only an arm I lost and not my life, Eilian Sorrell told himself with each reminder of his discomfort among the confines of the English nobility. A once promising archeologist and adventurer, Lord Sorrell is now grounded after the loss of his arm in a devastating dirigible crash over the countryside and is facing a bleak future in London as the prodigal eldest son of an earl. With the care of his dutiful butler, Eilian recovers but seeks to regain what he has lost by enlisting the Fenice Brother’s Prosthesis Company to create a new arm for him Rather than meeting a brother, Hadley Fenice arrives with an interesting proposition for the adventurer. She creates an arm of brass and leather that can flex and move as a real arm could, but what Hadley receives in return is the chance to be free from the restrictions of Victorian life. Under the guise of Henry Fox, artist, dandy, and lover of all things beautiful, she is free to explore alongside Lord Sorrell as they work at an archaeological excavation in the Negev Desert.

But what lies under the sand is better than potshards or bones. The subterranean dwelling Billawrati have lived for centuries in peace without the burdens of money or imperialism. As the archaeologists venture deeper, they are confronted by a society where the path of life is not governed by gain but by passion. They question how their lives and the lives of those close to them could be if the world would only allow them be who they really are. When imperialistic invaders come to Billawra in search of a new colony to pillage, Eilian and Hadley are forced to commit the gravest sin to protect their fleeting glimpse of freedom.

Status : Completed

A really adventurous story and a nice reading experience!!