Chapter 3

"There." The Apollo girl finished wrapping his shoulder, checking once more for any loose bandages. "That shouldn't loosen anytime soon. With proper care and some ambrosia, you'll be fine." She smiled, turning around and waving. Nico waved back halfheartedly, picking at the wrapping.

"I should go check on Annabeth. She'll be wondering where I am." He smiled at Nico, saying goodbye and running out the door.

"Huh. Alone again." He muttered.

Suddenly, Hazel ran into the room, her molten eyes scanning the room wildly until they fell on Nico.

"There you are! Percy took you away from the battle so I didn't know where you were." She hugged Nico tightly, and he groaned.

"Shoulder, shoulder." He winced.

She pulled away, embarrassed. "Sorry." Nico shrugged.

"I'll be alright."

After a couple minutes of chat, Hazel left, having midnight watch at the camp border. Nico stared at the ceiling, the moonlight lighting up the room in a light bluish white. His eyelids were heavy, so he let them fall, after whispering the saying he said every night, since his sister had gone.

"Tu sei il mio soldatino..." Eventually, the folds of sleep enveloped him, tugging him into its black abyss.

∞∞∞

The next day was sunny and cheerful, the monster dust swept away and the ripped banners replaced. Nico's shoulder was doing alright, almost completely healed but for five dot-shaped scar marks on his shoulder. He walked out of the infirmary, the clamor of campers complaining about cuts from duel practice and scrapes on their knees from running with the newly awoken dryads making his head hurt. The winter snow had almost melted away, but the gods would surely send another storm to keep the winter spirit.

Nico headed towards the woods, passing by various satyrs playing their pipes and campers playing dodgeball or climbing the wall. The cool and quiet of his forest was a welcome sight, the smell of pine needles meeting Nico's nose like a sweet scent of home. He reached his tree, deciding to just sit against the base, due to his already stiff shoulder.

He froze, a rustling sound coming from the brush about ten feet in front of him. The bushes quivered, as if something was moving inside. He drew his sword, standing up. The monster attack from the day before had already made him paranoid.

Two ice blue eyes opened in the shadows of the bush, staring out at Nico vehemently. His heart started to beat fast, and he straightened. ~"What is that...?"~ he thought. The two eyes looked almost... Human. The dark form straightened, walking out of the shrubs. Nico's heart almost leapt out of his throat.

It was an almost exact copy of himself, down to the very ring he wore on his finger. "What?!?" He managed to keep the fear out of his voice.

"Hello Nico." The 'other Nico' snickered, his voice dripping with sinister malice. The creature's voice was different too, like playing a tape backwards. It made Nico want to retch.

"W-What are you...?" He whispered, not able to keep himself from stuttering. The other Nico grinned wider, his smile holding no mirth.

"I'm merely a vision... But not for long."

__________________________

AUTHOR'S CORNER

Thank you guys for all the reads! I'd really appreciate it if you'd review the story by commenting. It will help me become a better writer, and ultimately write more chapters!

Thank you! ^-^