Back In The Saddle

Two months after firing Rory Dames, the Chicago Red Stars have found their next head coach. Owner Arnim Whisler calls a press conference to make the announcement.

"After an exhaustive search and several interviews involving current and former college, professional, and national team coaches, we believe that we found the right person to lead the Red Stars into this new decade and finally bring a championship to the Windy City. With no further ado, may I introduce the next coach of the Chicago Red Stars, Lisa Cole."

Lisa Cole, the Boston Breakers' first head coach in NWSL, has been hired to finally get the Red Stars over the hump and secure the club's first championship in 2020, their 12th season of existence across four leagues [WPS (2009-2010), WPSL (2011), WPSL-Elite (2012), NWSL (2013-present)].

"Thank you, Arnim. I am pleased to be coming back to the NWSL after several years away working in club soccer and running the Papua New Guinea Women's National Team. The problems which led to this past year's disappointing season and change of command will not occur in the upcoming season. We will fortify our roster to deal with the potential of losing multiple players for the Tokyo Olympics and next year's expansion draft. We will use the draft and our reserve system to build a strong enough squad that we can withstand surprise selections by both Jill Ellis and John Herdman for Tokyo. We will play attacking soccer while also being solid in the back. I am happy to be working once again with Alyssa Naeher and we will count on her to backstop our defense, but we also plan to make a move before the start of the season to secure a reliable back-up for when she is on National Team duty. I hope I am standing before you next October with the NWSL championship in my possession, ending the second-longest run of any US women's professional soccer team before their first title. I'll now take any questions you have."

Nicole Hack, Section 134 Supporters: Coach Cole, we remember how the end came in Boston for you. How do you plan to avoid those mistakes with the Red Stars?

Cole: I believe I have learned some things in the past six-plus years since my departure from Boston, and those lessons will serve me well here.

Sarah Spain, ESPNW: The Western Conference looks to be packed again this year, with Vancouver ready to make the jump to the top rung of the ladder, along with perennial favorites Seattle and Portland. How does Chicago break through this logjam to make the playoffs in 2020?

Cole: We have to get off to a hot start because we know we will lose players to the Olympics. If we're just off the third spot by the time we get our players back after Tokyo, I think we will make the playoffs.

After a few more questions from the gathered media, the press conference comes to a close, with Cole and Whisler exiting.

NWSL

Chicago Red Stars - Named Lisa Cole head coach.