Chapter 7

"Zay!" He cringed. What now?

"Do you mind? I'm trying to get you out of my mind right now and here you are pushing yourself in." She rolled her eyes and walked towards him. He was sitting down, resting his back on a tree and looking at the sky.

"Whatcha doing?"

"I just told you. So please. Leave."

"As if you can tell me what to do." He glowered. She sat down beside him.

"So... what are we looking at?" He didn't answer, irritation clear on his face. She looked at the clouds and let out a peaceful sigh. His eyes drifted to her. As hard as he tried they wouldn't budge. "Zay?" He shot up like a bullet.

"Tell me your name. Now." She rolled her eyes.

"Tell me yours." He huffed. She grinned.

"You're too stubborn."

"Thanks. You are too." He turned back to the sky, a wistful look on his emotionless face.

"They're not doing anything!"

"Shh!" Farkle flared up at Smackle. "I'm trying to study them." She glared at him. Riley jumped in, eager to remove the tension.

"What can you see?" He stared at them. Neither said anything. They were just there.

"Well... I can sense that they are attracted to each other from the way they keep looking at each other." For some reason he glanced at Riley. They both blushed and looked away. He continued. "There's also a lot of curiosity between them. They're trying to figure each other out without being obvious. I'm hoping they will. If they let themselves." Riley giggled.

"That's a lot to tell from a simple look." He smiled, her laugh resounding in his head.

"Sometimes a look is all it takes Riley."  Then they began their little staring contest again. It had been happening for the past few weeks and was becoming more frequent. Riley's eyes widened. She got up.

"Uh... I  have to... go... talk to Lucas... you know... boyfriend..." She ran off quietly. Farkle nodded slowly, trying not to grimace at the boyfriend part. He failed miserably. What was happening to him?

"Um... yeah... have to... girlfriend..."

"That was sad Farkle. Sad..." He turned to his girlfriend, blushing.

"What do you mean sad? I mean it's not like I like her or anything. You and I are together and she's with Lucas so-"

"You totally like her."

"I... I don't know." She smiled.

"Farkle, I'm breaking up with you."

"WHAT... oh."

"Yep." He stared at her for a moment before hugging her.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. You obviously like het a lot more than me so I won't get in the way. Besides, I... I didn't want to tell you but I've met someone."

"Really?" He was genuinely happy for the girl who he called girlfriend only moments before.

"Yeah. His name is Toby. He's really nice. It started off with me tutoring him but he's actually a really smart guy if he puts some work into it."

"Well I'm happy for you." They went back to Zayah.

"Zay... I'm not your replacement. You do know that right?" He stiffened.

"Zah... mind your business." He got up and began to walk away.

"Wh-where are you going?"

"I'm ditching." Her eyes widened in shock. Zay? Ditching? What was the world coming to? "Care to join me?" He smirked slightly, knowing that she was too much of a good girl to resist. This wasn't just a little thing it was skipping a whole day of school. She stared at him in shock for a moment. Then she remembered all those games like Choices and Episode and My Story. Sometimes moments like this would pop up and diamonds had to be used to access them. This was a diamond moment. And she was certainly not going to miss it. Not for the world.

"Sure. I have a test in five minutes anyway." He looked shocked. He hadn't expected her to say yes. Disappointment was clear on his face as he kicked the grass.

"Whatever. Don't slow me down."

"Oh please, you? That's pretty much impossible. You're the one who's gonna be doing the slowing." She ran straight past him, laughing at his face.

"Come on Zaybe baby, not so turbo now are ya?" He raced after her, trying not to grin.

Farkle stared at them. The way they behaved with each other. It was... amazing. Especially since they had only just met. Farkle had known Riley long before he had known Maya. His brain began to work out what was going on between him and the Princess of Sunshine. He walked back into the school's and only when he saw her talking to Maya and Lucas, her warm brown eyes twinkling did he realise what was going on. He grabbed them both and walked to a quieter corner.

"Farkle! We were talking-" Riley saw the panic and desperation in the boy's eyes and stopped Maya with a slight nudge.

"What's wrong Farkle?"

"I... I..." He didn't know how to explain. "I... You know how I said that I would love you both equally forever?" Riley nodded. Maya rolled her eyes.

"Yeah? So?"

"I... I broke my promise - I'm sorry!" He ran off leaving the two girls absolutely dumbfolded. Riley went red.

"So... who do you think he was talking about Maya?" Maya eyed her friend suspiciously before face palming.

"What have you done Riley?"

"I... I didn't... I don't know Maya. I don't know."