A Wolf in Disguise

“Noelle! Will you come here please?” I heard mother call from downstairs, and I put down my brush. The painting will have to wait till later. A unfinished masterpiece grandma calls it.

I walked into the kitchen, where mother was filling a basket.

“Ah, there you are. Will you be a dear for me and run these to your grandmothers? Shes meading a dress for you for your birthday, and this is a little thank you gift.”

“Of course.” I grabbed the basket, fully excited for a visit with my beloved grandmother.

I kissed my mothers cheek and fled outside, and onto the beaten path through the woods that lead to her house.

The smell of pine and wildflowers filled the air, and a warm soft breeze caressed my face.

It wasn’t to long til I reached grandmothers house, and promptly knocked on the door.

I was immediately greeted with a smiling familiar face.

“My little red! What are you doing here? Trying to sneak a peak at your birthday dress?” She hugged my slender frame, and the smell of fresh baked bread and her lightly scented perfume drifted to me.

“No grandma, I’ve brought you a gift for all your hard work. Compliments of mother.”

Grandmother peeked inside the basket, and grinned.

“I’ve already baked up a storm for myself, there is no way I could eat all that. How about you find a sunny spot in the forest, have a picnic and enjoy your early birthday presents?”

I frowned in confusion. “Early birthday presents?”

Grandmother grinned and pulled out a blank canvas and painting set complete with brushes.

I gasped at the extravagance of the gift, and touched the obviously expensive paints. Such bright colors, and so many of them.

“Oh grandma its so perfect! But you shouldn’t have went through all the trouble! It must have been so expensive!”

“Nonsense. And since I had some time on my hands, I made you something in case you might get a slight chill. I know your mother is having a party for you, something extravagant and that you would want some peace and quiet to sooth your nerves before the big day.” She pulled out a rich scarlet cloak, with gold embroidery.

My hands shook as I lightly traced the edges of the beautiful cloak. Red. My favorite color.

“Oh grandmother its beautiful. Its beyond words. Thank you so much!”

I watched in awe as she draped it over my shoulders and tied it in front. It almost reached my feet, and was made just right, fitting to my form, cloaking me from the sun. The hood was deep, had gold embroidery work stitched around the rim and flowed down the edges of the rest of the cloak.

Grandmother put the paint set in the basket and handed me the canvas.

“Now go. Enjoy yourself. The sun should be at its full peak in a hour or so, and the forest comes alive with sunshine, the perfect place to paint.”

I gave my grandmother a long hug, and kissed her cheek before setting off into the forest to find a place to start my work.

Just as I was about to give up, I stepped into a beautiful clearing, with a tall oak tree right in the middle, providing plenty of shade. The view of the purple and pink wildflowers against the green grass was spectacular.

I settled into a spot next to the tree, and propped my canvas against it.

I took out my paint set, and looked through the contents of the basket.