Chapter Nine

After paying her cab fare, Mina stood outside Heaven's Arena and stared up at it in awe. I never expected 200 floors to be this...tall. She thought to herself. Mustering up her courage, she walked inside, only to be met with an immense flood of fighters and spectators. She followed the signs to the registration desk, wondering where Hisoka might be.

"--gister for a fight?"

"Huh?" Mina registered that she was being spoken to.

"Would you like to register for a fight?"

"Oh! Yes! One this afternoon would be best. Are there a lot of female fighters here? And where can I stay around here over night?"

"I've scheduled you to fight one hour from now in the large arena to the right. This is your ID number, they'll call that when it's your time to fight. No, there are not as many female fighters as male fighters. If you get to floor 100 you may stay here, but if not, the city offers many affordable hotel rooms."

"Oh... Thank you." With this, Mina left to go watch other matches before hers started.

Monitoring the surrounding activities, Mina decided that she might need to use a bit more cunning to win these fights. Maybe not the kind of cunning I used to trick Hisoka... but something. She thought to herself. Soon enough, it was time for her own battle.

As she stepped into the ring, she took notice of her opponent; a large male, bald and angry looking.

"Is this just some kind of pass for me? I didn't ask to fight this tiny cotton candy girl. This won't be taking long" he mumbled.

The referee signaled the beginning of the fight. Mina began running around the ring, waiting for the big, angry guy to try to throw a punch. The clock was ticking and soon Mina grew tired of simply circling her opponent.  Maybe I can tease him like Morou-san teased me...

"I thought you said this would be quick?" She taunted. His face grew visibly more red with anger. "It couldn't be that you're actually scared to hit me? Afraid you won't be able to maybe?" And with that, he roared and launched a fist towards her.

Wow! So fast! She thought to herself. But nowhere near as fast as Morou-san was! With that, she leapt into the air and ran up her opponent's arm and gave him one swift kick to the face. He fell to the ground, clutching his now broken nose. Mina then twirled into a graceful jump and proceeded to land a hit on the very top of her opponent's head, smashing it into the concrete below before the referee could even award her points for her previous point.

The crowd cheered loudly-- everybody loved an upset-- and the referee announced the next level for Mina.

"Proceed to floor sixty." And with a smile, Mina left to schedule her next fight.

The rest of the evening, she managed to rise to floor 100 with only minor damages. She was absolutely exhausted as she went to accept her keys.

"Sleep well. Please keep in mind your fight begins at 9 am sharp."

Ughhhhh, she thought. It's 2 am now! That won't be enough recovery time.

Mina stomped up to room 108, threw her clothes off and passed out.