3

The journey back to the palace was untroublesome, only getting inside without suspicion was the dilemma

The journey back to the palace was untroublesome, only getting inside without suspicion was the dilemma. Hiding a dragon was hard enough on its own, but a hatchling would become difficult for all babies are curious and refuse to keep out of sight. Spending many moments contemplating various strategies to hide this creature, Thranduil tucked the little dragon at the back of his robe. The problem seemed to be solved, but it was uncomfortable, because the young dragon kept squirming about, kneading his back like a kitten. It took all his willpower not to grimace in discomfort. The guards on duty at the front gates welcomed him and let him enter, and they did not suspect a thing. Continuing through the winding paths and staircases, no problems occurred, to his relief.

"Lord Thranduil?" a voice halted him in his tracks, nervous sweat forming on his brow.

"Lyssa...What do you want?" He spoke firmly, but not unkindly, to a young she-elf, brown haired and bright-eyed.

"You have returned, I had almost given up hope you would not return." The archer replied.

A hearty laugh forced its way from the king's lips. "Given up hope...My dear Lyssa, since when do you doubt me?"

"Never, my Lord." She suddenly paused; a look of shock mingled with horror formed apon her face. "By the Valar, Lord Thranduil! Since when do you have a tail?!" She pointed to his robe, which trailed on the floor, and indeed, a small scaly and spiked tail curled from it, twitching this way and that, unnerving Lyssa more and more.

Ordering the young elleth to follow him, Thranduil led her to a private study and locked the door, making sure not a single being had followed them. That was the last occurrence he wanted to happen. Reaching into the robe he took out the baby dragon, who hissed at Thranduil, for she liked not the way he held her by the scruff. Opening her mouth Lyssa almost cried out but Thranduil slammed his hand over her mouth before any sound could be mustered.

"Don't even try." Said Thranduil. "If I hear one scream from you, I will banish you from my kingdom."

"My Lord...T-that's a dragon!" said Lyssa, after the king released her.

"Really?? I could not tell, in fact, I thought it was a cute little lizard that needed a home." Every word the king spoke, dripped with sarcasm. " Of course I know it's a dragon! And , if you breathe a word of this to anyone..."

" I will not!" Lyssa shook her head." I take my leave now."

Just before she left Thranduil stopped her. "If I found you have breathed a word of this to anyone, in the kingdom or in the entirety of Middle Earth...There will be trouble for you."

"Are you threatening me my Lord?"

The look on Thranduil's face grew stone cold. " Yes."

She bowed and rushed away. Thranduil took the dragon into his room and made a soft small bed of pillows and blankets for her on the floor. When he was done the dragon crawled up to his shoulder and left from the perch with a jump onto the new bed. Turning around once and kneading the blankets like a cat, she lay down and closed her eyes purring softly.

" Thranduil! You have returned!" Cried a gorgeous she-elf with golden hair. She wore a silver twig and leaf crown, similar to the kings yet different and she wore a dress of green velvet. The elf ran into his open arms and the two embraced. Thranduil held her close and breathed in her scent. Spring.

" Lanika...how are you feeling?"

" Im a little tired and a bit faint. But the healers says that the baby is fine."

That's wonderful..." He whispered. "Come. I have something to show you."

Taking his wife by the hand he led her into the bedroom. She paused the minute she saw the dragon, curious, shocked and mystified.

" Is that..." she said, trailing off.

"Sure is...Her name is Sylvian and she is an orphan. She is staying with us."

At hearing her name Sylvian raised her head and stood up. The queen smiled thinking the little dragon was very cute. She walked over and held out her hand for Sylvian to sniff. Sylvian hesitated and sniffed. Then gently she butted the queen's hand with her head and crawled into the queen's lap where she sat and purred. Lanika giggled and stocked the dragon's scales gentle and lovingly.

" It seems you have a new friend." The king commented.

"Oh my love...she has to stay. I love her so much already!" the queen cried happily, shooting the king a look of pleading for her wish to be true.

"Oh there is no need to beg me with your gorgeous eyes." Bending down he gave her a kiss on the forehead. " She is staying."

Sorry this is shorter than usual. But I hope you still enjoy it :)

[Copyright for the picture belong to the respected artist. : ]

May the grace of the Valar protect you as I go eat potatoes.

Nin < 3