~

Fifteen minutes later, she was completely dressed with her hair in a messy, albeit comfortable ponytail. She had to commend herself on the ability to beat time. It was becoming easier as she frequently woke up at an undesirable time. With all thoughts but Draco pushed completely from her mind, she disapparated to the Ministry without any bad feelings. Like always, she felt the familiar sickening stomach pain and the darkness enveloped her. Much to her surprise, she stuck the landing. She grinned and without thinking, punched her fist into the air, relishing this tiny successful moment.

The sound of clapping came from behind her, slow and loud. She turned her head to see Malfoy standing there, smirking as he brought the palms of his hands together.

She shot him a dirty look, which didn’t have the effect she wanted, as she began to blush.

“Bravo, Granger. I must say I’d give that a ten out of ten. Merlin himself would be jealous of your abilities.”

This made her flush even more, only causing Draco’s smirk to grow. He closed the small distance between them and pressed his lips to her forehead. She jumped away as if being signed by a white hot wire

                He was taken aback. He realized where they were and what he was doing, but he couldn’t quite mask the slight hurt of her pulling away quickly enough. She grimaced, ashamed of herself for treating him like that.

                “I’m sor -”

                “I understand.” He said simply, holding up a hand to silence her.

                She didn’t press it, but swayed awkwardly on the spot, waiting for him to say or do something.

                “Let’s go inside. We probably have work to do.”

                Just as they were about to walk inside, Draco caught her arm. He turned her around to face him again, and he sighed.

                “You know, I love you.”

                “I believe I remember you saying something like that.” She teased lightly.

                He ignored that. She couldn’t blame him.

                “I just don’t want to have to pretend I loathe you every time someone we know is around. Can we at least be friendly?”

                She bit her lip, pondering it. They’d had to act like the latter was the very bane of their existence in many situations. It would strike someone as suspicious if they were suddenly cordial to one another. Even with all that in mind, she couldn’t deny that it would be nice to not have to pretend. He looked at her hopefully, thinking it was foolish to even ask.

                She sighed, then gazed at him thoughtfully.

                “Deal.”

                He grinned.

                “But –”

                There was a ‘but’…

                “No kissing. No caressing. No romantic touching of any kind unless we are away from the Ministry.”

                He almost looked as if he would object, but resigned and nodded his head.

                “Great. Now, let’s get in there before we’re both fired. I daresay Kendrina would overlook a tardy merely because I’m her favorite employee.” She joked.

                Just as they were about to walk in, an angry voice called from a few feet away.

                “Well, don’t you two look cozy?” It was jeering and cold, like shards of ice.

                “Problem, Weasley?” Draco sneered, challenging him to say anything else.

                Ron wasn’t looking at Draco. His eyes were fixed in a stare at Hermione, who avoided looking at him as much as she could.

                “My problem is you.” He said, his voice unfaltering, his face staying its normal color instead of the deep red it usually became.

                Draco laughed and took a few steps closer to him.

                “And what, pray tell, did I do for you to have a problem with me?” He challenged, unfazed by the angry red head.

                Ron kept his eyes locked on Hermione, never once glancing elsewhere.

                “Perhaps you’re worried that your girlfriend fancies me?” Draco said, not bothering to keep any contempt from his voice. “I can’t help it that Granger’s my partner. Nor can she. Your jealousy is misguided.”

                This seemed to trigger something in Ron.

                “I would never be jealous of YOU.” Ron said, matching his tone with Draco’s. “Who’d be jealous of a filthy ferret who didn’t have friends unless his daddy bought them?” He smirked. “How is daddy, by thee way? Still locked up nice and tight?”

                Draco’s hand twitched to his pocket where his wand rested. Hermione sensed it quickly and threw herself between the two.          

                “Stop it – both of you. Do you want us to get fired?!”

                Passerby sensed what was about to happen and had stopped to look, and a buzz of excitement grew amongst them. It took so little to get them all stirred up. Ron raised his wand sharply, almost escaping Hermione’s sight. She reacted quickly, knocking it from his hand, where it rolled out of his reach.

                “I don’t even need a wand!” He snarled, a menacing look on his face.

                “Ron, stop it!” Hermione yelled, throwing her weight at him in an effort to hinder him from getting to Draco.

                He pulled back quickly, nearly sending her to the ground.

                “Oh, defend HIM! You’re on HIS side now?” He demanded, practically spitting with rage.

                “This isn’t about sides – this about being CIVIL!” Hermione yelled back.

                Ron threw her a cruel smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

                “You keep telling me that over and over, but every time you’re with him, it goes WAY past just ‘civil’. He disgusts me – and I don’t know why you’re like this around him!”

                Draco scoffed.

                “Just because she doesn’t spend half her time trailing after you like you do her doesn’t mean she’s acting any differently than normal.”

                Hermione felt this was a low blow, but couldn’t deny the truth behind it.

                Ron ‘s face finally began to flood with a bright red color, and he didn’t even bother hiding it.

                “Fuck you.” Was all that they heard before he’d disappeared, leaving the two in the middle of a small crowd of people.