* * *

Four days ride south east, the city of Elavadoriel played host to the Royal High Council. Roses had wound their vines around the casement of the windows and the flowers spread their sweet scent into the air of the council chamber. The soft birdsong from the branches punctuated the sounds drifting up from the market below the room.

"He died in an accident." The red haired man sat beside one of the windows stated.

"So the report says." The reply came from an imposing elven man at the head of the table in the centre of the room.

"Has anyone recovered the diadem?" The soft voice of the formally dressed woman to the right of the elven man seemed to shock the rest of the men in the room.

"Well?" Sat on her right, her husband laid a protective hand over hers on the table. "My wife asked a question."

The other men avoided the question by looking at the red haired man, who swung his gaze across the gathering as he stood up. "You called me here with a Royal Messenger. That means you want something."

"O'course they want something." A gruff voice preceded the form of a dwarf as he entered the room.

"Duke Handlithen. So good of you to join us." The elven man stood up and moved round to greet him.

"I know I'm late, but we had a problem in Rhialegard." The duke grunted as he shook hands, his beard bristling as he removed his cloak and handed it to a footman. "But ye cannae really blame Amerlyn for being suspicious, Aeylethdariel. We always drag him into our councils."

"Ser Amerlyn is Voice of the Gods. He is the Temple Council's representative in this council and as such should be present when we meet." A tall thin man in a yellow robe waved one hand expressively. "It is the law after all."

"Too true, Tae Criaeryrn." Amerlyn allowed, coming forward to the empty seat opposite Aeyletharial. "However, my work involves so many different councils, that a drop of forewarning would not go amiss. I am due to take my apprentice to Llyn Biryanyir in a sevenday's time. What would have happened had you scheduled the meeting for then? I am incommunicado when I am within the mountain's embrace."

The man in yellow dismissed the thought with a flick of one hand. "We would have met without you of course."

"Then why did you need me this time? And why send a Royal Messenger; the one messenger who no citizen of the Seven Kingdoms of Cha Dea can legally ignore?" Amerlyn sat down with a sigh.

"The king is dead." A handsome, dead eyed man to Amerlyn's left said as if that was reason enough.

"You know the rules of succession as well as I. The College of Heralds will search the bloodlines for the heir and summon him or her to the palace at Dreaya in due time." Amerlyn shrugged. "We do not need to meet to discuss this."

"Especially as the heir is well documented and known. High Princess Alannae of Emerae." The woman smiled softly. "My sister is prepared for her ascension. Chrystoff made sure of that."

"Aye, Kaearia." The dwarf grinned at her. "Ye're family is indeed a worthy successor to the now defunct Duchy o't'Islands." He sat down in the chair to Aeylethdariel's left as the elven duke regained his own seat.

"My own lineage is just as worthy, Handlithen." The handsome man said.

The dwarf sniffed in derision and ignored him.

A ruddy haired man with a bushy bristle of beard snorted. "All of our lineages have the same bloodlines, Andrionae. Mine has just as many connections to Silannae the Beautiful as yours does. The High Princess was Chrystoff's choice of heir. We shall abide by that request."