"Assuming nothing happens to the girl..." Andrionae froze as every man apart from Amerlyn in the room surged to their feet. He rolled his eyes. "I would never harm my royal cousin, but the fact remains that the journey from Earmyr to Dreaya is a long one, fraught with danger from bandits and other unworthies."

"Only if she travels through your duchy, Andrionae." Kaeria snapped. "My sister would never be so stupid as to risk her life on the unkempt roads and bandit ridden marshes that you are supposed to rule."

Andrionae raised an eyebrow. "Are you officially questioning the state of my duchy, Kaeria? Would you really want us to come to blows over such a petty squabble when the succession lies unconfirmed?"

Her husband stoked Kaeria's hand. "Whatever the Duchess of Earmyr Highlands deems worthy to bring up in council, I would listen to, Andrionae. She is never wrong."

Andrionae shook his head and drawled. "It will be so much easier when your daughter inherits her position from both of you. Having two votes gives you two an unfair advantage."

The couple flinched and the Duke of Earmyr Lowlands pushed back his chair. "What are you implying, Llyranyir?"

"Nothing, Tomlrinae." Andrionae seemed amused.

"Enough." Amerlyn's quiet voice cut through the rising tension. "Don't be foolish, Andrionae. Alannae is safe and sound. The succession will be smooth. Now why on the God's green thumbs did you call me here."

Andrionae frowned at him. Tomlrinae sat back down and Aeylethdariel leaned forward in his seat. "We have had disturbing reports of flickering from the Towers."

Amerlyn blinked. "I must truly be out of touch in Kaeshiryl. The towers flickering? That is something I must investigate without delay." He stood up. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

"There are other things to discuss on this subject, Amerlyn." Aeylethdariel raised an eyebrow. "Please don't leave just yet."

"What more do you need to discuss?" Amerlyn sat down again looking confused.

"The Diadem of the King was lost when Emerian the Traitor died." The Duchess of Earmyri Highlands said. "Have you found it yet, Amerlyn?"

"What has that got to do with the Towers, Kaeria." Amerlyn asked casually.

"The ancient writings specifically state that only the Diadem can return the light to the towers." Kaeria leafed through one of the books on the table in front of her, stopping on a page with a diagram. She tapped on the diagram. "The diadem is the catalyst. So if the towers are flickering, that means that the diadem has been found. I assumed that you would be the one to know where it was."

Amerlyn sighed. "Kaeria, I was there when the towers darkened. So was Chrystoff. He tried to use the diadem and was unsuccessful."

The duchess blinked. "So what would make the towers flicker?" she looked at the book again. "The texts all say that the diadem is the only thing that can..."

"It's not the only thing that can affect them." Amerlyn said. "The God and Goddess can make them light momentarily for various reasons."

"In that case it must be a summons for you, Amerlyn." Tae Criaeryrn said with a smile. "The Goddess has ever had a flair for the dramatic."

"You're telling me." Amerlyn muttered.

* * *

"We'll stop for the night in Plains Village." Alannae's husband, Lord Thomlan told the Paladin in command of the escort.

The knight saluted and turned to convey the order.

"I wanted to get across the river before we stopped for the night." Alannae said.