A smile lit her face which mirrored the love I felt for her and she kissed me softly on the lips before whispering against them, “I love you more.” Then she got up, kissed Ariana on her fore head and shot me one last lingering look before heading out to hopefully close the door on her past so we could embrace our future.

And what a bright future it was shaping up to be.

Samantha

As I made my way to the main pack house, so many emotions were running through me, happiness, hopefulness, and if I was being completely honest with myself, a little sadness at the loss of a bond we shared for so long. I walked right into the house, it was a pack house after all and the doors were always open to pack members, and noticed a few of those such members sitting in the family room, staring at a blank tv screen.

Hearing my arrival, they turned to face me and I was surprised by the saddened looks on their faces, then I understood. They could feel their alpha’s pain and loss, and though none of them held any anger toward me because they knew the situation, they were a little unsure of how to help him and what lay in store for the pack as a whole now that the union between alpha and luna had been broken. I’ve never dealt with or heard anything like this happening before and I wasn’t even sure what would happen next.

It was in this moment that I realized just how much our pack was affected by the problems between Devin and I and I felt a bit ashamed. We were supposed to be the glue that held this pack together and guided them forward. How were they supposed to have any faith in us when we were falling apart. Though I wasn’t sure just what my role in this pack would be now, I did know that I was still the mother of the future alpha and I needed to assure my pack members that there would be a future for all of us.

“I know you’re all worried right now, and to be honest, I’m really not sure what’s going to happen now either, but I do know that regardless of the things that have been taking place, Devin is the best alpha I know and he won’t let any of you down. No matter what he’s going through, what we’re both going through, you all will always come first.” I tried to ease some of their worries and by the relieved looks on their faces I think it was working.

A noise in the stairwell caught my attention and my breath left my chest at the sight of Devin.  He looked so sad and broken, but he tried to smile at me through the pain. It broke my heart to see him like this, not because of any bond we might’ve shared, but as one person to another. It was obvious he was suffering the loss of our bond, and even though he caused me ten times more pain with his cheating, I took no enjoyment in his suffering.

“You really believe that?” 

His question caught me off guard, I was so concerned about his appearance that I was confused by what he was asking.

“That I’m the best alpha you know, and that I can get through this and be the alpha my pack needs me to be?” he asked.

My features softened at the uncertainty in his voice, “Of course I believe that Devin.” I said as I stepped towards him. As if in silent agreement he turned to go up the stairs and I followed knowing we needed some privacy for the conversation we were about to have.