Chapter 32

*Eponines POV*

I did not see Madame for several days after the horrendous shopping trip. Marius gave me a few details of the fight that had followed between Enjolras and his mother, but other than that we didn't mention it.

Preparations had begun for the wedding, which meant I barely had time to breath because I was so busy. I always had to come and chose how the serviettes should be folded, or what colour of cream to make the tablecloths. Enjolras and I made many changes, of course, going with the more simple ideas.

Two days before the wedding day, I was standing with Enjolras in the garden, where the ceremony would take place.

"Madame, would you prefer red roses or white roses for your bouquet?" One of the gardeners asked. 

"Well, both actually, if it's not too much trouble." I said.

"Pardonez moi, Madame?"

"Sorry, I would like the white ones but also a single red one." I explained.

"I see. And would you like this for the table settings as well?" He asked.

"Yes please, if it's not too much trouble for you." I replied.

"Of course Madame. I shall begin immediately." He said, returning to his work.

"You're doing a wonderful job, my love." Enjolras said.

"Thank you. I'm trying to keep it simple, but it's just so difficult." I sighed.

"I know, but all of our plans are going perfectly." He said. "Now, we have to taste and check the cake and every other dish to be served."

"Is this why you told me not to eat lunch?"

"Precisely. It's a five course meal and we have to taste all of it."

"Good lord." I gasped, as he led me into the house.

Maids and butlers were scurrying around all over the place, cleaning the already spotless floors and surfaces.

"Oh, Madame, please wait here for a moment. There are children coming along to take their lessons in the garden. They would like to practice their greetings for the guests." One of the maids said.

"Of course." I said uncertainly.

"Don't worry about it. My mother wants everything to be perfect, including the children." Enjolras whispered, just as a stern looking nanny cane marching forward.

"Good afternoon. There are thirteen children here who wish to greet you. They've been practicing all morning." She said. She made them all line up in a straight line and one by one the said 'Good day, Madame. It's a pleasure to meet you.' The last child was none other than Gavroche.

"Eponine!" He said happily. I could see him squirm underneath the tight collar of his shirt. "I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Silence, you silly child." The nanny said, giving his knee's a loud smack with her stick. "That is no way to speak to a lady."

"Don't hurt him like that. This is my brother." I said.

"Oh, Madame, I apologise. But he must be kept in line." The nanny explained. "Now, come along children."

I watched sadly as they all marched away, only stopping for a moment to open the door.

"Don't worry, my love. We'll be out of this house in four days time." Enjolras said. "And I have a very special surprise for you."

"Really? What is it?" I asked.

"You must wait. I shan't reveal what it is until the wedding day, but I know you'll like it." He said. I sighed.

"I-"

"Madame, please excuse me, but a guest has just arrived and he wishes to see you." A butler said.

"Oh, I see." I replied. I looked at Enjolras. "Were you expecting anyone?"

"Not really, but guests have been arriving all day." He replied.

"He is waiting in the foyer, Monsiour." The butlers said. We nodded and walked off. I suddenly had a terrible thought.

"What if it's Papa?" I gasped.

"No, it couldn't be him. Don't worry." Enjolras replied uncertainly. Even so, he placed a protective hand upon my arm as we entered the foyer.

It wasn't Papa. It was an older man, with blond hair, beginning to turn grey and a small travelling bag. He looked up when we entered the room.

"You must be Monsiour Enjolras. I am sorry to barge in on you, Monsiour, but I received an invitation to your wedding." He said, fumbling over his words.

"Monsiour, are you sure? I don't believe I've ever seen you before." Enjolras replied. I looked out at the man, who I had no memory of ever meeting. But then I saw his eyes, his startling blue eyes and I was reminded suddenly of someone very dear to my heart.

"Wait, I think I know who you are." I said, stepping out from behind Enjolras. The man looked at me blankly, but then his eyes widened, as though in horror.

"Enjolras, go and get Gavroche. Tell him it's very important." I said.

"But-"

"Just go." I said. He backed away quickly, still eyeing the man.

"Madame, excuse me for saying, but you look exactly like my first wife, God love her. But you couldn't be, she's been dead for thirty years." The man gasped.

Yes, I know. My mother, Helena, she was your daughter." I said.

"Helena?" He said.

"Yes, she married Felix Thenardier. I'm her daughter." I said happily. "And my brother, he's here too."

"I haven't heard her name in so long. And now this blessing from above. You were the child she carried when she was forced to marry Thenardier, that crook. I should never have sent her away." He said, just as Enjolras returned with Gavroche.

"Who's that?" Gavroche asked.

"This is your grandfather, mama's Pére." I said.

"Nice to meet you." Gavroche said, offering a hand.

"Bless you, child. I feel as if I'm being visited by ghosts today. First my beautiful Elaine and now my son, may they both rest in peace." The man said happily. "But enough of my talking, where is my daughter, Helena. I must apologise to her. I never should have sent her away. It's my biggest regret."

"She's not here, Monsiour." I said, a lump forming in my throat.

"Why?"

"She's dead." I said, my voice cracking.

"She's....dead?" He repeated.

"Yes, she died last year at the barricade. I'm so sorry." I said, breaking down in tears. Enjolras came over and pulled my into his chest, letting me cry there.

"She's dead." I heard my grandfather whisper, as if he couldn't quite believe it to be true. "She can't be dead, she was too young."

"I'm sorry, Monsiour. I don't want to believe it either, but it's true." I sniffed.

"She's walking with God now, and her mother." Gavroche said.

"Yes, she's left us to go to heaven, my beautiful little girl. And she left me a very special gift of two darling grandchildren." The man said. "And I shall never abandon you, like I did my little Helena. I may never make it up to her, but the least I can do is be there for her children."